Additional fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idealconcepts

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be transferring the current fish I have in my 135gal FW tank into a 300gal FW (8ftLx2ftDx2.5ftH), as soon as it has cycled, and wanted to get opinions on adding approximately 6 to 10 inch expensive smaller fish that school. The reason for this thought is I would like to see some variety in the number of similar fish I have in the tank. The current fish I have are mainly American Cichlids, which are all about 1.5 to 3.5 inches: 2 marble Oscars, 2 Jack D., 2 Green Terrors, 2 Fire mouths, 3 Tin Foil barbs, 1 common algae eater, and 1 common catfish, and also a baby Silver Arrowana that will be placed in the 300 gal as soon as it is large enough to hold its own. Using the 1 inch per fish thing, I have come up with the estimate of 176 inches of fish when my current fish are full grown. Logically, in my mind, I believe I have enough room for the current fish I have, but I’m assuming the aggression level of each individual fish will actually determine that. My idea, and it is only and idea in which I would like feedback and suggestions on, is adding 6-10 fish that grow to a size of approximately 3 to 4 inches (inexpensive in case they become snacks for the other fish). This would raise my total count to approximately 206 (for 10x3 inch) or 216 (for 10x4 inch). I understand these fish might be on the small side and could be potential food sources once the Arrowana reaches the 25-30inch mark and the other cichlids become larger. I haven’t done much research yet on what types of fish I could look into placing into the 300gal, but I did have tiger barbs and they were pretty fast active fish that I have read reach up to 3 inches in length, this might be a little on the small side though. I also thought of Silver Dollars, but read they can get up to 6 inches, so maybe only 6 or 7 of them would be the max to put in the 300gal. There should not be a problem with the bio load as the 300gal comes with a wet/dry and two pumps rated at approximately 1,100 or 1,200 gph. Can I get peoples opinion on either adding the Tiger Barbs, Silver Dollars, or other fish that would have a chance of surviving in the 300gal tank, and how many would you recommend for each (Tiger Barbs, Silver Dollars, or other fish). Thanks in advance for your comments.

Back
Top Bottom