additional tankmate(s) for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subset99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 55 gallon w/:

3 pictus cats
3 rainbows
8 tiger barbs
1 red tail shark
1 bala shark
1 mystery snail

My youngest daughter has picked out fish that are supposedly compatible w/ the current ones and had the worst luck in having them die prematurely. I'm hoping she doesn't develop a complex about fish! The latest one we tried for her was a dwarf gourami that seemed to be doing quite well for about a month and a half. Then it just started hanging out in corners and behaved rather nervously. I have plenty of amazon swords, wisterias and java ferns to seek cover in, so I'm not sure why it was so spooked. I've done additional reseach that suggests dwarf gourami's are weakened gentically due to mass production for the trade. It makes a good deal of sense, although I'm not for certain if that is the culprit in this case.

What I need to find is a single fish that is very hardy and can hold its own w/ the tiger barbs and red tail shark. It must be at least two and a half inches because previous fish like danios have gone missing. I believe it's the catfish because they are the only ones I think could fit that size of fish in their mouths (regardless of being described as herbivores).

Recommendations have included:

3 Spot Gourami
Opaline Gourami
Parrot Cichlid (which causes concern due to digging habits)
African Leaf Fish (or Bushfish)

I also wouldn't mind compromising by adding three or so two and a half to three inch fish that could school together. Any ideas?

Okay, I'll break the ice. How about a ram cichlid... or a pair of them?

Back
Top Bottom