Additions to 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megsmelody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got my 10 gallon all set up: still 3 cardinal tetras, 1 black skirt tetra and 1 blue dwarf gourmi. Wondering if in the future I can add more and if so what do u think I should add? My FLS suggested afew more black skirt. But, as I've said before, what should I really do and when? Thanks again!

Not sure on stocking, not an expert. The dwarf gourami might be OK in the 10 gal. Not sure about the black skirts; I think a 20 gal might be better suited for them and they are schooling fish so 1 isn't going to be very happy (although not sure if it will school with the cardinals). I think cardinals are schooling fish also so they might be happy with more.

BUT....the more important question is: did you cycle the tank before adding fish? (letting the tank "run" for a few days as the pet stores recommend is not proper cycling). Do you have a good liquid test kit to test the water?

If not, I highly suggest getting the API Master Liquid test kit and read the link in my signature that says "new tank with fish." If the tank is cycling with fish you're going to need to test the water every day and do water changes any time ammonia or nitrite reach 0.25 or higher or nitrate reaches 20 or higher. Good luck.

Id say to maybe get rid of the black skirt, maybe back to your lfs, the maybe get 2-3 more cardinals. They look cool in a school and should be kept in higher numbers

Back
Top Bottom