Adeeb's rimless planted 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've been meaning to do this for a while, and finally got around to it. I'm aiming for a simple and sleek 10 gallon, without all the clutter. The tanks not a true rimless, I just took the rim off a standard 10g. I've ordered Eco complete substrate, and a finnex 26W clip on light. AC10 and a 25W heater will be all for equipment.

I'm not sure if I want to go the DIY CO2 route, so I'll stick with low/med light plants, and maybe dose pmdd.

Stocking is going to be RCS, hopefully the Taiwan Fire Red variant. Plant list to come.

What fert dosing scheme do most peeps prefer on a small tank?

--Adeeb

Here's the tank, mostly filled up with water. Filter media is running in another tank to get it established. As per my other thread, I used RO water along with seachem's acid/alkaline buffer and equilibrium as my water source , which will hopefully allow me to pinpoint my water conditions.

image-4001260209.jpg
as of now:
pH : 7.4
KH : 5.5
GH : 8

Which should be good for RCS in a planted tank. Plants ordered so far include:
anubias nana, windelov java fern, and bolbotis heudotti, which should be arriving shortly. I'll also be grabbing java mass from another tank, and maybe I'll pick up some other mosses from eBay. RCS ought to be coming within the next few days as well.

--Adeeb

Sounds good! I just use seachem flourish excel, and it works like a charm for my plants

Gboy66 said:
Sounds good! I just use seachem flourish excel, and it works like a charm for my plants
That might work. I've used flourish ferts before. Only problem is they're way more expensive than dry ferts.

Here's the tank all filled and with a piece of dw.

image-756603854.jpg

shrimp and plants coming tomorrow!

--Adeeb

Are you going to upgrade the light? It would be better for the plants to have more lighting

Shrimp and plants arrived! I thought I had more dw/rocks but they seem to have disappeared, so I had to place all 3 plants on the same piece. I'll have to pick up some wood from my overpriced lfs :p

image-3744446979.jpg

The shrimp are teeny! They already have red coloration which is pretty awesome. My can didn't like focusing on them, but I managed to grab a pic.

image-1897231323.jpg

Any suggestions for more plants/moss?

--Adeeb

Are you going to upgrade the light? It would be better for the plants to have more lighting

Why? If adeebm wants to keep it low tech, there is no reason why he should upgrade his lighting. He has chosen some great plants for a low light tank.

adeebm- Your tank is off to a great start! I love what you are doing with the windelov and the nana petite on the driftwood. I think it's going to look even better when it grows in! :)

severum mama said:
Why? If adeebm wants to keep it low tech, there is no reason why he should upgrade his lighting. He has chosen some great plants for a low light tank.

adeebm- Your tank is off to a great start! I love what you are doing with the windelov and the nana petite on the driftwood. I think it's going to look even better when it grows in! :)

I meant it would be better in the long run. But if they want it low tech, it is fine

Looking good! I definitely think it will awesome once the plants fill it a little more. :) I love rcs, they are active little buggers! I had to order mine online because my lfs can't get them. I am hoping to be able to get enough bred to sell to the lfs. :)

I have to agree that the upgraded lighting isn't needed. It's more a personal choice, and the plants selected with still look great with lower light.

Great tank, look forward to more pics lol :)

Thanks guys. I'm keeping the lighting as is for now. One high tech tank is enough :p

Gonna add java moss on some rocks, and maybe a Christmas moss backdrop. I'm looking for a few more plants to fill in the tank. Suggestions?

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Thanks guys. I'm keeping the lighting as is for now. One high tech tank is enough :p

Gonna add java moss on some rocks, and maybe a Christmas moss backdrop. I'm looking for a few more plants to fill in the tank. Suggestions?

--Adeeb

A nice long val around the corners :D

Looking good, but I do have a question on the tank itself? I know its only a ten gallon, so not a lot of pressure, but isn't the plastic rim there to help hold the glass together? I'd be somewhat concerned with the integrity of the tank, but curious to know your thoughts.

I've heard it's a bit risky de-rimming a cheap tank :p I kept the bottom rim on fit that reason and I'm hoping it will be safe enough. I'm assuming that since its a decent thickness of glass and it's only a 10g that it will hold up. I wouldn't risk it with a larger tank though.

--Adeeb

Saw my first berried shrimp today! They really grew up fast. I haven't even gotten around to ordering more plants. Looks like she'll be ready soon.

img_1698391_0_cf222f66b16d2636c86f926ed0fbd00f.jpg

img_1698391_1_09fa21bdd4a445418fdb6932c5c4af8d.jpg

--Adeeb

Latest FTS:

image-1316486002.jpg

Added some more plants. Also made a DIY shrimp safe canister filter. Took a mini turtle filter and some spare part I had lying around, and stuck the foam insert on the outside as you can see in the pic. The water travels through the canister and out as normal.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom