Adequate Lighting for 29-Gallon Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I'll start a new thread regarding different brands of fixtures and their brackets. I don't want to hijack this one. Unless the OP thinks it's ok to add to this thread.

Feel free, actually. I'm interested too. You can get good fixtures that have the mount built in. I don't know the brand but all it does is sit atop your trim and the outside of the tank.

The ZooMed fixture requires you to attach the mounts to the inside of the tank too. Allows you to shift the size to your specific tank which can be handy, but also prevents you from using a canopy. Yes, you probably could notch out glass to use the fixture, but you're going to have to take the glass off every time you want to get into the tank if you do that, and by that point it's more headache than it's worth.

Not sure if this has been suggested, but have a look at the nova extreme fixtures made by Current USA.
Heres a link to the dual bulb t5ho's. Have a look at the legs.
Nova Extreme 2xT5HO | Current-USA

@ CoyotoeWildfire - Is that what you were refering to in your last post ?

These are the only fixtures I have found (that I can get locally), that I think will work with a glass top that sits 'in' the rim, while the legs fit 'outside' the rim.

I was looking at the 2x24w 24" fixture from fishneedit.com, but you'll notice the mount has a lip that goes on the inside as well as the outside of the tank lip. A little trimming of the inside lip would take care of that though. Then when you look at the 4x24w 24" fixture, you'll notice the mount only has a lip on the outside tank. I'm not sure why there is a difference between the two mounts.

fishneedit.com 2x24w http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-55907585196829_2153_3497696

fishneedit.com 4x24w http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-55907585196829_2155_281019

I like the Nova Extreme 2x24w from Current-USA that was suggested. They have different setups for FW and SW. It appears you can get model 1127 for $70-ish. This much light would not require CO2 in a FW tank would it?

Not sure if this has been suggested, but have a look at the nova extreme fixtures made by Current USA.
Heres a link to the dual bulb t5ho's. Have a look at the legs.
Nova Extreme 2xT5HO | Current-USA

@ CoyotoeWildfire - Is that what you were refering to in your last post ?

These are the only fixtures I have found (that I can get locally), that I think will work with a glass top that sits 'in' the rim, while the legs fit 'outside' the rim.

This Nova looks like it has the right mount for using a glass top with it. So if you want to use a glass top with a fixture and stand, something like this would work. There are others that I've seen that use bars much in the same fashion. So long as the mount holds or fastens to the outside of the tank, you should be fine.

Royta displayed the differences quite nicely.

Back
Top Bottom