ADF and amplexus... how long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youknowho

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody,

I have a new tank with african dwarf frogs. Two frogs (male and female) have been in amplexus for over a day now. I looked for information on how long amplexus could last and only found "hours". Has anyone had experience with a lengthy amplexus? At the 24 hr mark the male started singing again, I'm guessing to tell the female "Come on let's do this!" They're going on 30 hours now.

Maybe the female isn't going to provide any eggs and the male is just too strong for her to get away from? :popcorn:

EDIT: Well wouldn't you know it, right after I posted this the male let go of the female and gave up on mating with her. Dang!

Last edited:
LOL wow that is quite a marathon! I've never seen them go quite that long. Are you seeing eggs around the tank? Are they full grown? It may be that they haven't actually reached sexual maturity and they are just practicing. Females if sexualy mature will have a big round belly, and males will have popeye-like arms. If they were really mating there should be little white eggs all over the surface and then eventually attached all over the tank...atleast until the froggies eat them all. Since you obviously have a male in there that's a pretty aggresive mater, I would make sure your females outnumber your males so they aren't harrassed too much. ;)

There are no eggs... I want babies! It sounds like they were just practicing. The male was singing (and continues to) but he doesn't have popeye arms yet, and the females' bellies could be bigger. I guess the male got prematurely excited :D

There are three males and two females in the tank, but only the one male seems to be interested in mating. The other two are still in their middle school phase, so I'm not concerned about the females getting too much attention right now.

Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom