ADF's Carry Salmonella?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pud2224

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased 2 adf's recently and today I was looking something up on them and came across an article that says African Dwarf Frogs often carry salmonella! Obviously I was astonished when I read this and pretty concerned. Has anyone had any experiences with this sickness and linked it to your frogs? Apparently I must now change the way I clean my tanks, no more python to the sink. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this subject please.

I'm not totally knowledgeable about this topic but I have read the same. I would imagine just washing your hands well after touching them would solve the problem. Same as you'd do with raw chicken.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not totally knowledgeable about this topic but I have read the same. I would imagine just washing your hands well after touching them would solve the problem. Same as you'd do with raw chicken.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, washing your hands if you touch them (which you shouldn't anyway) is enough. And yes, all amphibians can carry salmonella, just like chicken can.

I would simply recommend hooking your python up to a sink that is not used for food preparation. If this is not possible, I would siphon into a bucket and then poor the contents down a drain where no food will be in contact. Ensure the bucket and python do not come into contact with your mouth or eyes, and wash your hands after using them. If you do this, you're totally safe!

Yes, they do. No licking of ADF. Wash those hands too :)

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom