Adventitious plants on new Amazon Swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elysekuf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hubby and I just picked up three Amazon Swords, one of which already has a sizable adventitious plant with three nodes producing root systems of their own. What do we do? Plant those roots as well, trim and plant the nodes, just wait it out?

We're pretty new to planted, we've been growing a couple of anubias while our tank cycles for the last month and they're doing pretty good. We've got a soil substrate with gravel on top, the flourish liquid ferts and we're upgrading our lighting soon. We've got a 36 gallon with an 8000K, 15w bulb, so that obviously needs to be upgraded, and probably will be within the week.

Hi! Sounds like it should be able to divide the plant if the nodes are already producing roots. However, the plant will be stressed, changing from 1 set of water conditions to another. You may want to leave the whole thing together for a couple weeks and then divide.

Thanks for your help and advice!
We'll go ahead and wait a couple of weeks :)

After that do we just cut at the node, will they twist off, or what do we do?

node

I had one of these on my new sword when I got it. I waited a week and then pinched it off planted it 10 " away and now a few month latter it is almost as big as its mommy. :p going to give it away if it gets any bigger dang thing takes up some space.

Darwin

Back
Top Bottom