Advice and help needed please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyrose96

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On Tuesday I bought a fish tank and 2 gold fish and when I bought them from the pet shop they were lively and healthy. since I've got them home they just lay still in the water and haven't eaten since I bought them home and I'm worried about them, any idea why this might be and what I could do to change it or make them happy? Thanks!

Well, here are some things that most people will want to know in order to help you:

1. What size is your tank
2. How did you acclimate your goldfish before you put them in
3. How did you cycle your tank
4.What are your water parameters (if you know them)
5.Did you use a dechlorinator when you added your tank water
6. What kind of filter do you have

Hopefully this will help people answer your questions!
ALso, remember that being transfered to a new tank is stressful for fish, so you might give them a day to get used to their new surroundings before feeding them. Keep the lights off and try to let them rest.

I'm not sure in Litres what size the tank is but the man at the shop said it was fine for the two of them to share. When I go them home I put them into just below room temp water, as told to, in the bag I received them in and then completely released them into the water about an hour later. I did de-chlorinate the water and I just have a small standard filter I got at the store. Sorry I can't tell you much, I don't really know much about fish, I'm just worried they're at risk and want to know how I can make them more happy! Thanks! :)

Ok! Well it's good you are asking questions and wanting to learn :) Right now the most important thing you need to do is learn about cycling your tank. It is good fish keeping 101. Learning the basics does not take long. These are two articles to help you start off. They are not long, so give them a go.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The next thing people around here will probably tell you is that a lot of local fish stores don't give great advice (or it's downright bad). Goldfish as a general rule need 75 liters of water for the first fish and 37 liters for every additional fish. So for your two fish you would be looking at about 113 liters. Is your tank big enough? If not, I would consider taking your fish back and getting something more size appropriate for your tank (people on here will help you if you need ideas!)
Starting has the biggest learning curve, but after that it's pretty easy. Glad you found AA and welcome! :)

Also, if your fish have been in the tank for more than a day you probably need to do a water change, right now. Probably at least 50% of the water needs to be replaced with fresh dechlorinated water.

It's common for lfs employees to say fish will do fine in a tank far smaller than they really need. I would do your own research on the matter.

You really should know the size of your tank, still have the box? If not, measure the length, width, height, and post the information on here. We can figure out its size with those measurements. If it's a hex just measure out each section.

You could also take a picture and we could estimate its size.

And yeah, I would certainly change half the water if you haven't already. Gold fish have a huge bio load, and ammonia will rise quickly in an uncycled tank. Make sure you use a dechlorinator when you do the water change.

Until the tank is cycled you will need to do partial water changes daily most likely. It helps to have a test kit so you know how much to change.

I've never kept gold fish, but my sister had a fancy gold fish in a bowl. I never saw it swim around, it just sat there. I assume it was due to the cramped space it was living in. It did live for a couple years, so it wasn't sick or anything.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392451081.364761.jpg this is a picture of my tank on my desk. Unfortunately the store didn't give it to me in a box so I have no way of knowing the measurements though later I will get a tape measure and take some. A was also wondering whether there is any way you can tell the sex of fish? Thanks

Well, I can safely say that is way too small for two goldfish (sorry! I know it sucks to hear). To be honest I think it's going to be too small for MOST fish. It is also going to be very hard to take care of, because it's so small (it's ironic but bigger tanks are WAY easier). Your water will become toxic very fast and most likely your goldfish will not be happy or live long. You should repost this on the general discussion forum, you'd probably get more people helping you :)

Okay, it's not great to hear but it's extremely helpful, I look into getting a larger tank within the next few days! Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom