Advice for beginner on Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brettyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

Im looking for advice for a beginner dosing a planted tank. Im just after the basic things I should start with. I have no idea where to start or if what im thinking would be beneficial for my tank. Ive looked at some YouTube stuff and read some forum info but I cant find a basic dosing schedule to start with and build from that. so basically Im asking for an inside into your daily regime for dosing

My set up is a Fluval Plant LED with the wifi controller which I have on for 2 x 4hour periods with 2 hr break in between. Fluval FX6 is providing nice flow in the tank. No CO setup as I want low tech. Not doing an aqua scape.

Tank is stocked with fish as well - Rainbows and a angelfish. Plants are wisteria, anubia and java ferns

This is what Im thinking based on what Ive watched and read: I do a water change on the weekends around 30% and was thinking of dosing with an all in one fertiliser on the day of th water change. Then excel flourish every other day and a top up of fertiliser every other day.

Would I worry about trace elements?

Plants are wisteria, anubia and java ferns

This is what Im thinking based on what Ive watched and read: I do a water change on the weekends around 30% and was thinking of dosing with an all in one fertiliser on the day of th water change. Then excel flourish every other day and a top up of fertiliser every other day.

Would I worry about trace elements?

You only need to worry about the trace elements, those plants are not demanding, not fast growing, and should be fine with a simple dose of Flourish Comprehensive + Flourish Trace 3 x weekly.

Flourish Excel needs to be dosed everyday, at the "after water change" rate or else it won't do anything.

Since you asked for it, my dosing schedule is as follows:

I dose my water change water (50% tank volume) to:

40 ppm NO3 using KNO3
10 ppm PO4 using KH2PO4
47 ppm K using KNO3, KH2PO4 and KHCO3

30 ppm Ca using CaSO4
13 ppm Mg using MgSO4
CaSO4 + MgSO4 = 7 degrees of gH
KHCO3 = 1.5 degrees of kH

On Sunday I remove 50% tank water, and add this water back in.

I then dose the tank 3 x weekly with:

0.04000 ppm B using H3BO3
0.00200 ppm Cu using CuSO4.5H2O
0.15000 ppm Fe using DTPA 11% Iron
0.05000 ppm Mn using MnSO4.H2O
0.00170 ppm Mo using Na2MoO4*2H2O
0.00050 ppm Ni using NiSO4.6H2O
0.04000 ppm Zn using ZnSO4.7H2O

On Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I also dose Metricide14 daily @ 0.35 mL's per gallon of actual water volume.

Wow that is quite a dosing regime.

Thanks for the earlier info that helps. Might check my all in one im going to use to see if it covers that trace element does before I buy it.

I'd give Thrive a shot for your fertilizer. Run your lights for 6-7 hours straight then lights off.

Back
Top Bottom