Advice for new tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrasticDann0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
First post so sorry if I have logged this in the wrong section.
I will be taking ownership of a tropical tank later this week.

My mother in law to be purchased a 3ft tank on eBay which already came with fish. This will be my first tropical setup.
I thought it would be a great opportunity to get into tropical communities.

However when she received the tank from the seller it's Not your usual community. Pic attached (hopefully)

- roughly 10 x Swordtails (with a constant supply of fry)
- 1 x Glass Catfish
And last but no means least.
- 1 x blood parrot cichlid (king kong I believe??)

The latter is quite territorial and appears to have some attitude! (Only to invading hands. Not his tank mates)

I offered to take the tank off her hands as it is a lot for her to handle on her own. And will be moving them into another tank which I already have on a cycle ready to go.

My main questions being:

1) I read up that Glass Cats should be kept in groups. Should I get a couple more?

My concerns were if the big guy doesn't take kindly to new arrivals.
But I was planning on getting the S.tails and Glass cat and other new additions settled in the new tank a few days / week before I introduce the parrot? Would this be OK?

2) I understand parrot cichlids are very messy eaters and waste. Other than the decent filter i have and regular cleaning on my part can anyone recommend any 'cleaners' that would be ok in the tank?

I do have a soft spot for these types as I think they stand out in a community. (Shrimp and Borneo suckers in my cold water tank for example)

Thanks in advance,

Dan

ForumRunner_20130115_005046.jpg

I think you'll run into quite a few issues with the blood parrot mixed with those fish, I've never kept them so I could be wrong but its my understanding they can be pretty vicious, and if it already attacks your hand, I imagine fish smaller than your hand won't make it too long, but who knows

Hello!
First post so sorry if I have logged this in the wrong section.
I will be taking ownership of a tropical tank later this week.

My mother in law to be purchased a 3ft tank on eBay which already came with fish. This will be my first tropical setup.
I thought it would be a great opportunity to get into tropical communities.

However when she received the tank from the seller it's Not your usual community. Pic attached (hopefully)

- roughly 10 x Swordtails (with a constant supply of fry)
- 1 x Glass Catfish
And last but no means least.
- 1 x blood parrot cichlid (king kong I believe??)

The latter is quite territorial and appears to have some attitude! (Only to invading hands. Not his tank mates)

I offered to take the tank off her hands as it is a lot for her to handle on her own. And will be moving them into another tank which I already have on a cycle ready to go.

My main questions being:

1) I read up that Glass Cats should be kept in groups. Should I get a couple more?

My concerns were if the big guy doesn't take kindly to new arrivals.
But I was planning on getting the S.tails and Glass cat and other new additions settled in the new tank a few days / week before I introduce the parrot? Would this be OK?

2) I understand parrot cichlids are very messy eaters and waste. Other than the decent filter i have and regular cleaning on my part can anyone recommend any 'cleaners' that would be ok in the tank?

I do have a soft spot for these types as I think they stand out in a community. (Shrimp and Borneo suckers in my cold water tank for example)

Thanks in advance,

Dan

I would donate the blood parrot. Add five more glass cats. The blood parrot ,may be okay for now but will most likely be a problem in. the future.

Back
Top Bottom