ADVICE for peaceful community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ideal tank mates(of the guppy) include: Similar sized Livebearers, Tetras, Rasboras, Rainbowfish, Dwarf Gouramis, Loaches, Plecos, and Scavenger Catfish

is that about right?

Sounds good; however, you are limited by your tank size. The smaller loaches tend to be more aggressive. I really love my striped khuli loaches--they look like little eels and are excellent excess food eaters! Bigger loaches will outgrow your tank. I have heard dwarf gouramis can be aggressive, but I have no personal experieince with them. Other live bearers are okay, but that's going to equal a TON of fry. Your tank is 20 gals, for a pleco (if you want one), find a smaller breed such as the clown, rubber lip, bristle nose or pitbull. Many people are failing for rainbow fish. Some get quite big, but some like the Celebes stay at 2". Most catfish will get too big for your tank--except cories.

Albino Aeneus Cory Cat is what i REALLLLLY want :D

probably 3 of them, and 5 male guppies... something like that... how am i doing "size wise?"

You are totally within the limits of the tank. You can add 2-3 more cories and a few more guppies if you really wanted. Or, are you leaving room for a different kind of fish?

Neon tetras would definitely fit in the tank. Make sure the tank is well established before adding the neons.

Mollies would be fine, keep in mind they are live bearers. If you don't want fry, get only males since females can store sperm.

Yes, you can tell males from females. Males have a gonpodium, which is a modified stick-like anal fin used to introduce sperm to the female. Females have a triangular anal fin.

Tiger barbs are definitely not a peaceful community fish, but if you had a school of them with nothing else in the mid to upper levels, it would be a wonderful display.

Cories definitely are a schooling fish, as are hatchets (really cool, deep bodied surface dwellers - look around, they are generally available, at least here).

TankGirl said:
Tiger barbs are definitely not a peaceful community fish, but if you had a school of them with nothing else in the mid to upper levels, it would be a wonderful display.

Cories definitely are a schooling fish, as are hatchets (really cool, deep bodied surface dwellers - look around, they are generally available, at least here).
im very interested in cories... not so much with barbs...

Cories are a wonderful fish, and they are fun to watch when they are schooling along, noses to the gravel, rooting around in a group for anything they can find. The more the merrier!

If you want "happy" cories that will use the entire bottom of the tank stay away from the rubberlip/pitbull pleco as it will eventually become territorial and keep the cories confined to a smallish area.

I think you should get the guppies and cories right now then wait....wait until you have more time to look around and after you have had time to see how the guppies and cories are. Then you may figure out for yourself what other fish you want. If you rush to fill up the 20gallon tank right away you may find yourself wishing you had waited (aka "buyers remorse") because you find some fish later down the road which you like better.

patryuji said:
If you want "happy" cories that will use the entire bottom of the tank stay away from the rubberlip/pitbull pleco as it will eventually become territorial and keep the cories confined to a smallish area.

I think you should get the guppies and cories right now then wait....wait until you have more time to look around and after you have had time to see how the guppies and cories are. Then you may figure out for yourself what other fish you want. If you rush to fill up the 20gallon tank right away you may find yourself wishing you had waited (aka "buyers remorse") because you find some fish later down the road which you like better.
good point, thanks

Back
Top Bottom