Advice for Starting my First Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarheel92

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I included this in my introduction, but figured i'll be more likely to get the responses I'm looking for with a post here. I settled in to my off campus apartment for the next two years (I'm currently in college), so I've been starting to research for my first tank, and I think I've settled on doing a 37 gallon community tank. Here are the questions:

1) I know it's cheaper to go with one of the starter kits, but they also have questionable reliability. Is it more worthwhile to just bit the bullet and buy everything separate, or would the kit components last more than the first few months?

2) Planted vs Artificial. I've seen this debate all over, and it seems like they each have their pros and cons and I can't quite decide which will be better for a first-time tank.

3) The fish. Right now I'm thinking about stocking it with 3 platys, 6 zebra danios, 5 peppered corys, and an angel or two (I've seen mixed experiences with lone angels). AqAdvisor says that is overstocked for the tank size, but I was wondering what y'all thought from your experience since AqAdvisor does err on the conservative said.

Can't wait to have y'all along for this journey!

I went with an Aqueon kit. Tank and light and filter and heater. Working great so far, been running for 6 months.

I like the planted look. This us my first time planting live plants and will never go back. But the lighting that comes with the setups is not ideal for plants that need lots if light, so I have Anubis, Amazons and Anacharis. And they are going great.

Lots of tanks are over stocked. If you are diligent about WC and don't over feed, you can get away with it.

My tank is technically overstocked, I do a 25-50 percent WC weekly. 25% gravel cleaning every 6-8 weeks. And check my levels once a week. If something is off, I do a water change.

Good Luck and WELCOME!!! It's a great forum. I have gotten some great help here.

I like the planted look. This us my first time planting live plants and will never go back. But the lighting that comes with the setups is not ideal for plants that need lots if light, so I have Anubis, Amazons and Anacharis. And they are going great.

Thanks! I definitely prefer the look to a planted tank, but I also know it will be another complication in moving once I get a job after graduation (it will either be a local move, which is pretty manageable, or a fun 10 hour trip back to Florida).

Back
Top Bottom