Advice Needed: Light For Planted 40 Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 40 breeder that I am trying to find lights for. I have a light that I'm borrowing until I can get my own, but don't know where to begin. I don't want to break the bank on this, but I don't want to skimp, either. What do you all recommend? I've added a couple of pics so you can see what I'm doing. May help with the advice.

Attachments

• image-1600668660.jpg
    image-1600668660.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-994693641.jpg
    image-994693641.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 72
Do you have low light plants? Ive been using clip on lamps and cfl's as my lights for my 55g tank that has all lowlight plants and all plants are growing just fine. So far I only have about $25 in light, my clip on lights are about $8 a piece and my bulbs came in a 3 pack for $7 (all from walmart) the bulbs are GE daylight 6500k 13w (60w equivalent, energy saver type). I'm adding clip on lights as I get more plants. So far I'm using two, will probably end up with 3-4 once I get all my plants.

What's the plant list? You could just get a single T5HO or double would be even better for low light plants too. If you are into LEDs the Finnex fuge ray is a good option for lower light, and the ray2 is for higher light. I use a double T5HO plus 2 TrueLumen Pro LED strips on my 60 and that's very high light for it...but what Mrs.h2012 also has a good idea up there :)

What's the plant list? You could just get a single T5HO or double would be even better for low light plants too. If you are into LEDs the Finnex fuge ray is a good option for lower light, and the ray2 is for higher light. I use a double T5HO plus 2 TrueLumen Pro LED strips on my 60 and that's very high light for it...but what Mrs.h2012 also has a good idea up there :)

I went with this because I loved the look of my tank being open top, and I even looked on amazon (Craigslist around my area has hardly any aquarium supplies at all) and the cheapest things I was finding was around $50-60, mainly closer to $60... And I really didn't wanna spend that much, so I came up with that idea. Like I said so far it's working pretty well for me :)

I went with this because I loved the look of my tank being open top, and I even looked on amazon (Craigslist around my area has hardly any aquarium supplies at all) and the cheapest things I was finding was around $50-60, mainly closer to $60... And I really didn't wanna spend that much, so I came up with that idea. Like I said so far it's working pretty well for me :)

Yeah it sounds like a good idea to me, and If it works, why not? :lol: especially for that price!

Thanks for the advice. I may have to grit my teeth an shed out the cash 1 more time, though. The plan on this tank has been to have lush plants. I want to focus more on the plants I like than whether or not a less expensive alternative can help with some plants but not all.

Does anybody know of a good way to buy used from reputable sources? I'm not sure I trust Craig's List on this and all I've found on eBay are knock-offs.

Thanks for the advice. I may have to grit my teeth an shed out the cash 1 more time, though. The plan on this tank has been to have lush plants. I want to focus more on the plants I like than whether or not a less expensive alternative can help with some plants but not all.

Does anybody know of a good way to buy used from reputable sources? I'm not sure I trust Craig's List on this and all I've found on eBay are knock-offs.

Have you looked on amazon? I've looked on eBay for fish supplies (like lights etc) and there isn't as much selection as amazon IMO.

You're right about EBay. I think my biggest problem is that I don't know what to look for. I want T5 lighting, but I don't know the wattage necessary. In a perfect world, I'd like the programmable set up with 6 lamps, but its pretty high.

On my 40 gallon I have an aquasun t5 ho that holds two bulbs and I really like it and they have a pretty decent selection of different bulbs that you can pick to put in it. I think they also have the blue bulbs that you can use in them as well. It was a little bit pricey but it looks nice and works well. I also like that it has two switches for the lights so you can have either one light on or both.

On my 40 gallon I have an aquasun t5 ho that holds two bulbs and I really like it and they have a pretty decent selection of different bulbs that you can pick to put in it. I think they also have the blue bulbs that you can use in them as well. It was a little bit pricey but it looks nice and works well. I also like that it has two switches for the lights so you can have either one light on or both.

Do you have a planted tank?

Back
Top Bottom