Advice needed on starting cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IShallNtEatFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok well my story is kind of long and drawn out but here is my tanks story. About 3 months the last of my 3 year old tetras died leaving me with 1 Molly. My mother decided that she was going to surprise me and came home with some cheap fish from one of the large chain stores. Apparently she received some sick ones and the made my whole tank sick. Within a week they all died but not after having fry drop and me spending about 30 dollars on a breeding box and fry food and other things they told me I needed at the store.

I have since removed everything and gotten all new rocks, plants, and decor. I am starting from scratch and want to have Jack Dempseys. Every place I go and start asking questions I get treated like crap and told to pick out some goldfish instead.

So any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thats bad news and lfs can be unhelpful at times.
Do you know what their reasons for suggeation goldfish are?
What tank and filter do you have?

Last edited:
I have no idea. It's a 30 gal with an HOB filter.. I've had it for about 6 years now I'm fairly knowledgeable about tetras, mollies, and guppies.. I also have a 300 gallon pond stocker with koi and "feeder goldfish" that are about 4 years old.

Jack dempsys can grow well over 6inches in length and unfortunatly i cant personally suggest them for a 30 is there a way of getting a bigger tank?

Depending on your tap water what about dwarf mbuna? 1 male 4 females

Shell dwelling africans?

German rams or cockatoo cichlids?

That's what I was afraid of! :( how big of a tank are we talking? I'm a little attached to the idea of a Jack Dempsey tank.... I'm named after the same man they are named after

Youre probably not going to like my response as i can again only personally suggest a 55 :( but length and width being more important than height. I would say you could get away with a slightly smaller tank aslong as the foot print stayed the same. I.e 4ft long and at least 13inch wide but you would have to up the maintenance and also increase your water changes.

Last edited:
Ok! That I can do! How many can I have in a 55 and what else can be in there with them? What about the electric blue ones? Can I have them in there too?

Ive never kept Jacks but they can definitely be very territorial and would likely kill the rams. As they get bigger so does their aggression and finding tank mates for most cichlids can be hit and miss as they all have a different personality and one could tolerate tank mates where another may not. Another south or central american cichlids that can hold their own is what most people keep along side them in bigger tanks.

Im hoping another member experienced in jackD behavior can chime in.

Ok thanks! My boyfriend keeps laughing at me telling me that every Jacq Dempsey (that's me) needs a jack Dempsey!

Ok thanks! My boyfriend keeps laughing at me telling me that every Jacq Dempsey (that's me) needs a jack Dempsey!

Haha thats such a cute name i have to say, i wondered what you ment and thought ok maybe a last name or your first names jackie or something. So youre actually called Jacq Dempsey? Muuhaha i can see why you want to keep them. Theyre very beautiful too ;)

Jack dempseys are very aggressive, most people I know only have one in a tank. As far as tank mates keep in mind they WILL eat anything that they can fit in their mouth. I do have a friend that has one in a tank with 2 large oscars. I would stick with one jack and maybe a couple other large South American cichlids

Sooo what if I had one by himself with no tank mates? And yes I was named after the boxer, I've been a fighter sine I was in the womb.

I would say you could do that in your 30 gallon, just get a good filter. I have a friend that has one in a 20 gallon and he gets along just fine

I would say 1 jack in a 55 with at least 550 gph of filtration and 50% weekly water changes. And a school of dithers.

I would say you could do that in your 30 gallon, just get a good filter. I have a friend that has one in a 20 gallon and he gets along just fine

He gets alone just fine? In a 20gallon, i cant believe what i hearing. A jack in a 20 is like keeping a dog in a box. I put my hand on my heart and assure you he doesn't get on fine. This is terrible advice, when i said i wanted someone who keeps jack to come alone and chime in i ment an experienced keeper who knows what theyre talking about not someone spouting wrong info as fact. Keeping a possibly 7-8inch fish in 20gallons IS neglect.

Honestly keeping a jack in a 30 is a sorry tale. I know that youre trying to justify putting a jack in your 30 instead buying another tank. I get it, you have the 30 to hand and it sounds wasteful right? Youll only feel bad down the line when he has barely enough room to spread his fin without hitting glass.

Im simply giving you information on FAIR fish keeping do with it what you please.

If you MUST keep it in the 30 i would leave the tank as bare as possible.

I personally am just trying to figure out what is the common practice of keeping them. I've been planning on upsizing I just didn't know how big I needed to go. I will do anything possible to have a jack. And as a 5th generation farmer I believe in treating animals with respect the way they should be.

Back
Top Bottom