Advice needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afn_Black

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,
Im going to set up a reef tank (112), i have quite a bit of fw experience which i think will help. But i wanted to know people's opinions on what substrate is best for beginners. I would like to have a good clean up crew, with crabs so some sort of substrate is essential.
Thanks,
Jack

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Aragonite based sand. Carib sea sells a bunch of different kinds. Basically it will say live sand or you can get dry aragonite based sand. It just should be aragonite based.

You really don't want crabs, they're menaces and kill snails/ go after corals. I have a massive emerald crab in my sump whose down there because he started eating corals. They're opportunistic eaters. I'd get snails over crabs if you're planning a reef

Okay, thanks for help. I was more thinking hermit crabs, are they compatible for a reef? i was going to throw in a few extra shells so they dont compete with the snails as they grow

Okay, thanks for help. I was more thinking hermit crabs, are they compatible for a reef? i was going to throw in a few extra shells so they dont compete with the snails as they grow

They'll still eventually kill the snails. They always seem to like the shells with the live snails in them more than the ones without lol. Crabs just suck

Okay haha, maybe i re-evaluate my clean up crew. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom