Advice on a 125gallon I got for $75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow I just typed a huge thing and then accidently hit backspace and the whole page closed :banghead:

Excuse me if im being vague..

For the past couple years i have debated whether or not to join an aquarium forum. Mostly because I had figured everything out from youtube or just looking through other forums. Today is the day I join a forum. Today is the day I got what I wanted. Today is the day I stumbled across a gem.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205883&stc=1&d=1383523850

I got a 125 gallon tank with a stand for $75!!

None-the-less it has some work to be done. the glass must have had a 3-d background on it previously because there is some weird patches of muck, i'll have to get it with a razor blade or something. It only has a couple scratches on it, although one measure in at about 8 inches, its hardly noticeable unless in the right angle.

My questions that concern your help are this. what is the black middle column? can i take it out..? the man said something about it being an over flow filter, its silicone to the bottom of the tank. but inside there is a little hole in the bottom, im assuming for a filter. heres a picture from the bottom

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205885&stc=1&d=1383523850

I also am looking for those little glass tops but each section of the top of my tank is 22 and a little bit inches, I cant seem to find the correct sized lids although they are listed in the tank sizes sections, just like on this website. it looks like i will need three separate sections of glass anyone know where i can get something like that?

Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: Aqueon Versa-Tops

Other questions....

What type of filter system do i hook up to this?
I am planning on getting some lights as well, is it beneficial to purchase from the classifieds here? (planning on having plants)
.....What would you put in here if you could put whatever you wanted? :cool:
freshwater-

Excuse me if my post is of the "New Kid" kindof post. Just getting settled into the forum! Let me know if I can help anyone in anyway! Thanks All!:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_0689[1].jpg
    IMG_0689[1].jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0690[1].jpg
    IMG_0690[1].jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0691[1].jpg
    IMG_0691[1].jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 131
Hi, welcome in. Nice tank. I assume you are looking at freshwater fish? Looking at the pics I assume it was an over-flow filter to a below tank sump - was it a saltwater tank before? I've only had canister filters and would go with those but if it has been plumbed for a sump, I'd be tempted to try a similar setup to previous. Can you ask the previous owner perhaps? Otherwise I guess it would be just sealing the hole (very carefully :) )

10:1 says it was a saltwater tank in it's former life. The overflow is most likely for a sump as stated above. For a tank that size I wouldn't do anything less than a sump for filtration. That's a lot of water to filter and I would think it would over work a single canister, amybe you could get away with a couple canisters, but at the price of them you'd be best off with a sump. Sealing the hole is doable if you decide to go that route, however you open yourself up to the risk of it leaking.

10:1 says it was a saltwater tank in it's former life. The overflow is most likely for a sump as stated above. For a tank that size I wouldn't do anything less than a sump for filtration. That's a lot of water to filter and I would think it would over work a single canister, amybe you could get away with a couple canisters, but at the price of them you'd be best off with a sump. Sealing the hole is doable if you decide to go that route, however you open yourself up to the risk of it leaking.

An fx5 or 6 would be fine for that tank. The things are beasts. However a sump gives you customization which is always nice. I'd go with the sump.

Can't help much with most, but I can offer an idea for the glass lids/pieces, if you're only looking for straight glass:

Picture frames (as in the glass panel of them).

I'm not sure of the depth of your tank, but I'd check out Aaron Brothers (or even Goodwill/thrift stores) or like shops. While many frames are acrylic now, I've still found a lot that are glass, and 22" is fairly standard I think. I'm using a n 8"x20" piece from an Aaron Bros 'floating frame," and if you catch their sales, it may only cost a penny.

Just my two-cents, and good luck!

I think it was a part of a wet dry system. The whole was drilled into the tank. I don't think it would be wise to take it out just cap off the top so that it won't leak. If you take it out you would have to put another piece of glass over it and silicone over it that may make the bottom weak.

Well i hate the way the thing looks in the center, so i took it out, i am still going to do an overflow system, it will just be a little more custom then what most are haha. Ill elbow the pvc pipe off to one side and build the overflow up from that. Hopefully hiding it behind a 3-d background.
Wish me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom