Advice on my fish only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a n00bie here on the forums, so don't pick on me too hard. :)

I have a 90gal Fish Only Saltwater aquarium. No live rock, just some artificial coral pieces and some real rock for decoration. I've had the tank up and running since March of this year and over the last 3 months i've restocked after a major Ich issue.

I'm using biomedia/trickel filter thats rated for a 125gal tank and a nice sized protiene skimmer in my sump. I also bought a huge UV filter (I want to say 36 watts, but can't remember) and have it running. After Christmas I'm planning on getting a RO/DI system, until then I'm stuck with Tap water (but I do 40% water changes every 2 weeks).

I'm feeding them Krill, MYSIS Shrimp, Clams, the Green Seaweed, and on the occasion parts of a tiger shrimp or muscles. I soak the seaweed in Kent Marine Zoe every night and then feed it to them in the morning.

Currently I have the following fish in the tank.
-Volitan Lionfish (~ 3-4 ")
-Dogface Puffer (~ 3")
-Foxface (~ 4-5")
-Blue Regal Tang (~ 3-4")
-Niger Trigger (~ 3")
-Flame Angelfish (~ 3")
-Lunare Wrasse (~ 4")
-Clownfish (~ 2")

We are definately getting rid of the clownfish, before he becomes food. We are playing it by ear right now with the Flame Angelfish, and just keeping an eye out. Both of these were the only things to survive the previous wipeout (and why they haven't left the tank yet).

The only real issues I've had so far is that (of course) the Lionfish wants to eat pretty much 3x a day instead of 3x a week, and keeping him from eating his weight in food is a challenge. Any advice here?

Also had a little bit of agression issue from the Niger Trigger to the Lionfish. He hasn't acutally nipped or lunged at the Lion, he just keeps invading it's personal space, And the Lion, doesn't really care for that in the least.

So since I'm new at this I could use any advice (positive/negative/other) to help me keep going with my new hobby. So please lemmie know.

Thanks,
DaxMAN

Wow. IMO, you got way too many fish. Too many inches of fish, along with too many serious waste producing fish. I've never kept those kinds of fish, but I'm thinking you may have another outbreak someday with that kind of stress on your tank. No live rock either to help with filtration. Sand bed?

How have your water levels been over a period of time? Do they fluctuate much? Those aggressive fish in such a small tank without (I'm thinking) sufficient filtration is asking for serious trouble again. Have all these fish been stocked in the last 3 months?

Well DaxMan, hope you understand the diff between picking on you and giving it to you straight. You've come to the right place for help. Just hope you can do the right thing from here on out to help you get the most out of this new hobby.

I'd really like to know some of your readings over the last 3 months.

And most of all.... welcome to AA!!! :smilecolros:

new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif

WELCOME! SEISURES FOR EVERYONE!
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif
new_smilie_colors1.gif

It's been fully stocked (with everyone) for about the last 2 months, maybe 2 and a half. So far I haven't had any issue with PH/Amonia/Nitrate fluxuation (I rarely even have to add buffer).

I'm planning on buying a bigger tank next year if all goes well (250g or so). And right now everyone is pretty small in the tank and seem to have enough room to swim swim swim ...

I was hoping the UV will help keep the chance down of a new outbreak.

Thanks again for the input! :)

DaxMAN

Welcome to AA :wave:
You have alot of aggressive fish in there. IME Lionfish are not aggressive and usually very calm. If kept with the others, I imagine your gonna have more issues than just invading space and facing off. I think lions should be kept with peaceful tankmates (who aren't small enough to be eaten). Chances are as they grow it will get worse. There is another post on here about a puffer tearing up a lions fins. All those long wavy fins are just to much to ignored by most. Good luck with your tank. I doubt those fish will wait til next year for a bigger tank. As for the lionfish's eating habits, that's typical lion. I only feed mine three times a week. They will eat rather they are hungry or not and it's really not healthy for them. Have you read Bob Fenner's book the Conscientious Marine Aquarist? It's a wonderful book you might want to check out. HTH

Ya, that is a very aggressive tank. As they grow I would expect some fighting and my money is on the trigger. Also plan on some water quality issues, you have some messy eaters in ther. An upgrade to a 240 is a good idea with this bioload, the sooner the better.
I would definately get the clowns out of there and I also believe the angel will eventually be in some trouble, I would get him out too. Keep an eye on the regal tang, the trigger may start pushing him around.
If you can swing it, get that RO sooner. Between the bioload and the eating habits of your fish, I would expect an algae outbreak at some point. A lot of nutrients in the water.
Welcome to the forum, we will give it to you straight, but most of the folks here you will find to be very friendly and helpful. :D
Any specific questions?

:D

That trigger and the puffer could be bad news for the others. I have a friend with a Niger Trigger, and that thing is vicious. And take it from me who's lion is getting shredded by my puffer it's extremely frustrating. Also when you calculate fish size into gallons go by adult size. You never know if something would happen to prevent you from getting a bigger tank.

Puffer gets about 18"
Lion gets about 15"
Trigger I believe gets about 12 to 15"

So be careful!

Believe it or not some of the puffers can get hugh.... They say in my book the Df can get up to 13" the masked 11" and theStarry or Stellate puffer----47" 8O A LFS had a PP and he was as big as a basket ball very cool fish.

Back
Top Bottom