Advice on stocked tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stormwarning

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the last few days i've picked up a second hand tank, which is set up as a tropical (L30" x W12" x H18", about 29 gallons). As this is my first ever tank, I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts about the stocking that it's come with, and also whether i'd be okay to add anything else to it, or if i'd be pushing it?

Current stocking:

8 x Neon tetras
3 x Black skirt tetras
4 x Ornate tetras
2 x Black neon tetras
1 x Zebra danio
1 x Torpedo barb
1 x Harlequin rasbora
1 x Red wag platy
1 x Either bloodfin or buenos aires tetra?
1 x Brittlenose platy

Check out AQadvisor.com You'll enter your tank size, filter and the amount/type of fish and it will tell you your stocking level with the equipment you have. Great site!

thanks mog, good advice. looks like i've got a few warnings, like i thought, quite a few of those fish should be in larger groups. also apparently, the torpedo barb will get a fair bit bigger.

The thing is, i'm not sure if it is a torpedo barb, it's the same shape and has the same tail markings as pictures that i've seen, but has no red and is a bit translucent...

agreed with above.

Looks like most of those are schooling type fish so I would consider rehoming or returning the odd ones out and settle for 3 schooler species and maybe 1 other species, like the platys.

i do like the idea of schools... the thing is, the tank looks pretty peaceful at the moment.

Think if I was going to go for schools, i'd keep the neons (i know they're a bit of a cliche but i like them :)), maybe add some more black skirts, and get some more danios. I'd hate to lose the torpedo (if that's what it is), but i don't want to be cruel if it's not suitable.

What do you think? Does anyone know if LFSs are likley to take the rest of them off my hands?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom