Advice on upgrading tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.w.deegan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger tank I currently have a 36 gal bow front I'm looking to upgrade to a 50 60 gal tank the issue is I want to keep as many plants as I can out of the 36 and I don't have room to run both tanks at the same time so I want to just swap out the tanks my filter in my 36 is rated for 60 gal so I am going to reuse the filter for my new tank amd add a sponge filter for a little extra filtration a large aquarium store near me sells balls that they claim have 10 time more bb than seeded filter media for cycling a new tank so I was gonna get some of those as well to help the cycle as well as my already established filter media in my current filter my issue is how do I drain my 36 and remove my fish get my new tank in the same spot and set it up without killing off all my fish. It's obviously going to be a fish in cycle for the new tank and it will be seeded pretty welI I'm worried tho that the bio load will be to high and I'll have issues keeping the water parameters at safe levels wile the cycle establishes. currently i have 7 Bolivian rams some are juveniles still (this is why I'm upgrading to a bigger tank) and a school of fork tails not sire if that's what they are actually called but that's what my lfs store said they were lol. I plan on getting thr new tank at the end of the month I could use some advice on how to switch over everything tho

Put the fish in a pail, (Im sure you have one for water changes) When you're ready to switch tanks, then transfer them to the new tank. Use the filter from the old tank that is already established in the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom