Advice please about FW tank decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stickleback

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it possible, or advisable to put an antler in a freshwater aquarium? :confused:

I found a pair in my garage just now, and had this crazy idea that they might look good in my new tank, which is at day 10 of fishless cycling :)

What do you all think?

not 100% on this but the water might make the antlers decompose. not entirely sure what antlers are compromised of, but since they were part of an animal i'd bet anything they'd decompose in an aquarium.... probably not a safe choice... how about some nice windy driftwood?

Not my style, but they should be safe once well cleaned and rinsed. I've seen several tanks with antlers and skulls.

I would run some controlled test on them. They are bone so they might not decompose fast. Even DW will decompose, so I would set up a 5g bucket with dechlor water and let them sit for a week or so and test your water. I would test for everything; nitrates, nitries, ammonia, ph and gh. Look for a change. If nothing then you should be alright.

Supposedly it's fine as long as they don't have the velvety stuff on them. The calcium in the antlers will raise pH though.

Just a thought, if you are looking for something that is antler-ish in looks, consider some manzanita driftwood. It tends to be relatively thin & branchy...in fact when I try to describe it to people, I often tell them that the branchier pieces look a lot like a deer's antlers. You can usually find some on aquarium auction sites like Aquabid, or you can buy it online. I currently have an order in with manzanita.com. I haven't gotten it in yet so I can't say anything about the quality of their wood quite yet, but I can tell you that the guy in charge (Rich) is helpful, friendly and very willing to work with you to put together an order that will fit your tank size and match what you are looking for. I've known other people who have ordered from him before and all of them have had nothing but positive things to say about his company and the wood they got from him.

As for using an actual antler, as long as it was thoroughly cleaned, sterilized, and well-dried out, I would think it would be fine--again, with the recognition it will leach calcium etc. into the water, gradually increasing the hardness and probably the pH. Whether that is a negative for you or not depends upon what you are keeping in your tank and what the current water chemistry of your tankwater is.

Reactions: HN1
Hey...thanks everyone!

I'm not sure what I'll do...if I can get an arrangement of rocks/stones that I like...that might do, but failing that, I might just try an antler. :)

as long as its been cleaned and they have been off of the deer for a year they will be fine my girl freind had 1 in her tank for about a year and it didnt break down her water condition stayed the same. it did attact her snails tho they liked it alot lol.

Back
Top Bottom