Advice please ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickyicky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys - I have kept Tropical fish in relatively small tanks over year years without much problem but having given myself an early Christmas present of a 60"x 30" x 15" I thought I would invest in water testing kit - the tank cycled for two - three weeks without fish and was seeded with nitrifying bacteria to get the process under way. I proceeded to introduce fish at a regular rate of about 5 - 6 per week until I have now reached the current level of about 30 fish. I only lost two platies along the way so was pretty pleased.

After a couple of months the ammonia level hit 8.ppm and panic set in! I added Ammo lock - as per instruction and within 3 days the tank became very very very cloudy. I have since done a 25% water change and it is starting to clear.

Has anyone else had this experience with Ammo lock - I will not be using again if I can help it - I guess my cycling wasn't very successful - any advice welcome ?????:confused:

Eek, Just keep up the water changes maybe a little bigger of one. Alot of people do a Massive water change in a time of need like so. Thank goodness you didnt lose all your fish.

I'm going throw a very similar problem in my freshwater tank except no ammo lock.
Check to make sure your filters are flowing mine wasn't and needed a quick fix up.

Ammo lock

Regular water changes are on the agenda and both my filters are fine - still think Ammo lock was the problem - anyone else found the cloudy water problem after use?

Cloudiness is a sign of a mini cycle. Can't be sure why it would happen, but one of the reasons maybe the Ammo lock.

:welcome: to AA! :)
Hi guys - I have kept Tropical fish in relatively small tanks over year years without much problem but having given myself an early Christmas present of a 60"x 30" x 15" I thought I would invest in water testing kit - the tank cycled for two - three weeks without fish and was seeded with nitrifying bacteria to get the process under way. I proceeded to introduce fish at a regular rate of about 5 - 6 per week until I have now reached the current level of about 30 fish. I only lost two platies along the way so was pretty pleased.
What do you mean by seeded? Do you mean you added that "bacteria in a bottle" product, or you actually got seeded filter media from someone's established tank and added it to your filter? DId you have a source of ammonia? Did you see your nitrites spike and your nitrates spike? How many gallons is this tank-if I calculated right it was 116 gallons-and what fish did you add into this tank?
After a couple of months the ammonia level hit 8.ppm and panic set in! I added Ammo lock - as per instruction and within 3 days the tank became very very very cloudy. I have since done a 25% water change and it is starting to clear.
Did you change any filter media? Did you wash any filter media, if you did how so? The cloudy water is a sign that there is a bacterial bloom, which means your tank is mini-cycling. I would do 50% water changes.
Has anyone else had this experience with Ammo lock - I will not be using again if I can help it - I guess my cycling wasn't very successful - any advice welcome ?????:confused:

My questions and comments above in the bold underlined red. Please get a chance to read through them and answer them when you have the chance.

Do NOT use AmmoLock or any other "miracle in a bottle" type stuff. All it does is mess with your tank.

All you really need is:

Prime (or equal dechlorinator)
API master kit (liquid)
Decent food and good gravel vac

The cloudy water is still present but on the decrease following the water change - will do another one at the weekend and hope that works.

Currently the tank has 10 cardinals , six black widows , two Pearl gouramis, 3 mollies and 10 assorted cat fish.

Welcome to AA! We're glad to have you.
I have moved your thread to the FW and Brackish- Getting Started section. This should help you get more responses.

I would suggest testing your water and doing water changes as necessary. This should get you back on track with your cycle.

sounds like to me that something killed off the bio-filter. Ammo-lock does not remove the ammonia it just locks it up so the bio filter can remove it. If your Ph is close to 7.0 you can lower it to make the ammonia turn to ammonium which is safer and much less toxic to your fish. Changing any filter media at this time would be a mistake because you need all the bacteria you can get.

Hi welcome to AA!
How many gallons is your tank?
What fish and how many do you have?
Your tank is still cycling. It can take up to 8 weeks sometimes longer. I am going to link an article for you to read and follow.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
You are doing a fish in cycle. Every time ammonia or nitrite gets over .25ppm do a water change. Essentially your fish are swimming in their own poison at the moment. If ammonia or nitrite get too high it can cause permanent disfigurement, burns to gills and maybe death.

Back
Top Bottom