Advise N00b to Start Planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PSA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 29g freshwater tank with medium sized gravel, a couple pieces of really porous rock, and an 8 inch pleco and a couple cory cats. I would really like to plant and aquascape. There's a big swap meet coming up on Saturday and I'm trying to decide what species I'd like to pick up (if they're there).

Here are the few, poorly-informed thoughts on what I want and need.

-Moss is pretty.

-I'll need lower light species since my fixture only takes one bulb and the one in there right now isn't very bright.

I'd like to achieve some different levels of substrate, as well as different levels of plants. I'm not sure how to accomplish this... stack rocks?

Are there sufficient plants that will do well in plain old gravel, or am I already doomed by my substrate?

Also, are there low and high waste plants like fish? My filter does okay without plants but it's just one of those 30 gallon Tetra Whisper in-tank jobbies. I will replace it eventually but don't want to have to do it immediately.

I want to go low tech (read: low budget). I will enjoy caring for my new floral friends but don't have a lot of cash for start up. Maybe I don't have enough cash at all... I have no idea! I don't know what plants cost or what else I will need.

Sorry for the long post. I don't feel too bad though - I know there must be other nerds out there just itching to plan another tank! I hope... :???:

Well I went and bought 1 florescent 18k power glo bulb and I have hornwart and am getting some xmas moss flame moss and java moss.. Moss is the way to go with low light and I have "plain old gravel. These plants get their food from the water as hornwart has no roots.. moss either really I suppose. Mosses look awesome and you can secure them via fishing line to driftwood rocks or leave em on the gravel floor hooked or unhooked. After they have attached remove line and just trim when needed. Hornwart you can cut and replant the cut pieces... !!! Im enjoying it and am getting the mosses soon.. Just make sure what you get is an aquatic plant. Many are non aquatic. Also make sure low-med light is sufficient and that the plants dont require C02 the ones I have listed for you dont!!! There are more too I like the ones listed and I think you will too.!!! GOod luck!

Whew! That's all good news - thank you! Any idea how much cash I'll need to take with me? I have no idea how much plants cost.

Well you can do everything depending on how much of what kind of moss for all under 30 -40 I am guessing and thats quite a bit of moss. Hornwart is a cheap pond plant that can either be floated in the aquarium or you can do what I just did tonight and secure it with fishing line tied around the bottom and UNLEADED sinkers. The mosses you wont be able to find as easily. I am going to order mine online. AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium related equipment and fish in an auction format! . My LFS which has everything imaginable doesnt have some of these mosses. Java moss is the most common. Xmas moss looks similar it has more of a fuzzy look. Flame moss.... Well... Its ... AWESOME!!!

Back
Top Bottom