Advise required.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 120 litre tank. It's cycling as we speak. I want to keep cold water gold fish in it but to be honest have never kept them before. Kept tropical fish for a few years so I think I know the basics. How many fish can I have and what's the best type to fit in the tank. Should I cycle the tank and what's the best substrate. Might seem like basic silly questions but I would rather look the fool now and set them up with a good home.

Have a 120 litre tank. It's cycling as we speak. I want to keep cold water gold fish in it but to be honest have never kept them before. Kept tropical fish for a few years so I think I know the basics. How many fish can I have and what's the best type to fit in the tank. Should I cycle the tank and what's the best substrate. Might seem like basic silly questions but I would rather look the fool now and set them up with a good home.

Hello Vozie!

They say the only silly question is the one that isnt asked ;)

Your tank is about 32 US gallons, so you'd be looking at two or three fancy goldfish (NOT single tail species) MAX in that tank. Provided you do large (>25%) weekly water changes using a gravel vac to remove the waste. Bare glass or sand substrate is easier on the goldfish and makes it easier to see and remove waste.
If you are planning a fish-in cycle, start with just one fish, and add the others weeks apart to allow your BB colony to keep up with the bioload.

A set of liquid tests are a great investment in your fish's health. Also a top quality dechlorinator such as prime.

What kind of goldfish are you thinking of?

I agree on the sand or bare bottom. Goldfish are messy, have a tendency to eat gravel and it makes cleaning quite a bit easier. I do not agree on three goldfish of any breed in such a small tank though. One, maybe two, with a heavy filtration and a hefty wc schedule. Expect to upgrade in a year or so with two. Fancies require more work and care than most tropicals but they are quite entertaining creatures making the extra effort worthwhile! :)

Yes, you should fishless cycle this tank first. Fancies do not fair well in uncycled tanks and the effects from toxin exposure (even minimal) can be life long. Please read the article posted below- it covers most of the basics on care, filtration, diet, etc for fancies. Please ask any questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Hi sorry for late reply. I was thinking about common goldfish or maybe a bubble eye. I would like the smaller GF in the hope I can have more. Don't really want anything that will get to big as I am pushing my luck having this tank. My other tank is 75g with chiclids.

I thought I would go for something that I can spend time on and making the tank look fancy. Are there any cold water plants that will do well with GF.

Ialso like the bubble eye GF. If I was going for the common or bubble eye how many can I have in my 120 litre tank.

I never cycle a tank with

Attachments

• image-1659015574.jpg
    image-1659015574.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 89
Common goldfish grow simply too big for this tank. All goldfish honestly grow big with proper care. You can do a single bubble eye. They are best kept by themselves or with another bubble. Despite everyone's insistence plants are an impossibility with goldfish, they are in fact possible as long as you offer your fish lots of daily veggies. Your goldfish will then decide which ones you are allowed to keep, not you. Its best to start with hardier plants with tougher leaves (anubias, swords, etc) then work from there based on your lighting and what it can support.

Back
Top Bottom