african butterfly fish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. Im getting a little concerned for my african butterfly fish not eating its been almost 5 days and its really out of character for him. He usually snaffles anything before anyone else has time to notice it. Hes been fed on frozen bloodworm, daphnia, cyclops, mosquito larvae and tubifex worms. Also live meal worm and crickets he also had one earthworm about 2 weeks ago.

Usually as soon as i open the lid hes on patrol snapping at my feeding pippet. And if anything live goes he he is on it like a flash but recently i cant get him eating anything i even went out to buy him some small crickets this afternoon and it just splashed about until it got ate by my african bush fish which i didnt really plan for or expect as i didnt think he could manage them just yet.

I hope he perks up soon he did check out the cricket and had a snap at it but soon turned his back on it and left it alone.

Water params are fine 0 . 0 . 20
Ph is 7.6 i think but i struggle with the browns on the api high range test.

Hi all, my fish died this mornin. I kno my description was poor but besides not eating he seemed healthy in every other way. I think he ate too many crickets i dont kno if they are hard to digest he had like one every other day but sometimes got two cause my african bushfish wasnt fast enough.

Could meal worms cause problems i keep mine alive and fed with oat meal and pieces of potato so could that have affected him.

I kno its too late now but i would like another one or similar cool surface dweller and would like to avoid killing it. Should i be concerned about my bush fish as he ate crickets and meal worms too. He seems ok now but i hardly ever see him poop.

Any info is appreciated

Thanks

(edit) cause i didnt proof read!

Sorry about your loss!
It's puzzling your water seems fine
Did you see how the fishes poop looked like?

lornajane89 said:
Hi guys. Im getting a little concerned for my african butterfly fish not eating its been almost 5 days and its really out of character for him. He usually snaffles anything before anyone else has time to notice it. Hes been fed on frozen bloodworm, daphnia, cyclops, mosquito larvae and tubifex worms. Also live meal worm and crickets he also had one earthworm about 2 weeks ago.

Usually as soon as i open the lid hes on patrol snapping at my feeding pippet. And if anything live goes he he is on it like a flash but recently i cant get him eating anything i even went out to buy him some small crickets this afternoon and it just splashed about until it got ate by my african bush fish which i didnt really plan for or expect as i didnt think he could manage them just yet.

I hope he perks up soon he did check out the cricket and had a snap at it but soon turned his back on it and left it alone.

Water params are fine 0 . 0 . 20
Ph is 7.6 i think but i struggle with the browns on the api high range test.

Did you ever feed them pellets or flakes? I've got cichlids to and hardly give them treats like you fed. It may not have had anything to do with it.

Could someone give me some info on this fish please I really would like one but im not sure the temperament or anything.... And info helps!

How large is your tank ? Your water sounds fine.

I know in some animals Meal Worms can cause impaction. Perhaps the Meal Worms were an issue ? I fed mine live worms and Frozen foods.
But never Meal Worms. Freshly molted ( soft) meal worms might be ok. It sounds like you were really trying to feed him well :(

Back
Top Bottom