African dwarf frog info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What you what to know? I have 4 in my betta tank

These frogs eat baby guppies or mollies along with brine shrimp and bloodworms. They are peaceful as opposed to the african clawed frogs. You can keep them with barbs and livebearers if you don't want to raise any fry.

Just bought a couple of dwarf frogs as well, I've googled feeding and water perams before I bought them so all ok in that respect just one question which I've tried googling to no avail, ok so just wondered how often they need to come to surface to breath? Googling it gets me answers ranging from every 10/15 minutes or so to several hours and also that they absorb oxygen through the skin which I'm pretty certain is wrong, I only want to know how often they have to come up so as to keep an eye out for them as so far they are quite reclusive, probably just because need to get used to new tank so not worried in that respect.

BP

Good question! I have no answer tho. Sometimes I've watched them and they are up to the surface multiple times, over and over. Other times they hide for hours. I don't worry about it. I know they are able to get to the surface when they need to.

Thanks smomus, oh well I shall just have to watch for them, I'm sure they will get more active when they've got used to the new home.

BP

Frogs can absorb oxygen through there skin but Im not sure how long they can last on that alone. My brother has had some for 6ish months and we rarely see them swim up but if you have floating plants they will rest in those right at the surface.

I was wondering about getting one but are they compatible with angelfish??

bettaowner said:
These frogs eat baby guppies or mollies along with brine shrimp and bloodworms. They are peaceful as opposed to the african clawed frogs. You can keep them with barbs and livebearers if you don't want to raise any fry.

I beg to differ on the african clawed frog. I had an albino in my community tank for almost a year with no problems other than the fact that I don't think he can see very good and if he feels anything with his front claws he trys to shove it in his mouth. All the fish I've had were able to get away from him. And yes he was in with angel fish, also moons, guppy, betta, pictus cat, bala sharks, variatus, and I don't even remember what else. The only fish he EVER ate was an already dead one

I beg to differ on the african clawed frog. I had an albino in my community tank for almost a year with no problems other than the fact that I don't think he can see very good and if he feels anything with his front claws he trys to shove it in his mouth. All the fish I've had were able to get away from him. And yes he was in with angel fish, also moons, guppy, betta, pictus cat, bala sharks, variatus, and I don't even remember what else. The only fish he EVER ate was an already dead one
Dude most of those fish are to big and/or aggressive for a clawed frog to eat! Clawed frogs are mean!

GodFan said:
Dude most of those fish are to big and/or aggressive for a clawed frog to eat! Clawed frogs are mean!

Yeah most of them are, but what about the guppy, moons, and variatus. None of mine have ever been mean and they weren't that big when I got them for the community tank. Guppies don't get very big anyways.

Okay, here it goes for a little care sheet:

African Dwarf Frogs are great little fully aquatic critters. As has been stated, they need to swim to the surface of the water to take a breath of air. This means 2 things. First of all, make sure you keep them in a tank that isn't more than 15" tall since they need to get to the surface and aren't exactly the best swimmers. Secondly, make sure you have a tight fitting lid with no holes the frogs could get through. Another important thing about ADF's is that they are gregarious, and yours would love to have company of its own kind. ADF's do need a heater in their tank, they do not do well in unheated tanks. They need a minimum tank size of 5g, and a tank of 5g could hold a total of 3 frogs if that is all you stocked in the tank. They need a heater and have special feeding needs. They do not have the best eye sight so they do a lot of their hunting and foraging by smell. Thus, they are quiet slow to find food and eat so they are NOT well suited to the typical community tank. Many ADF's have died in community set ups due to not getting enough to eat. This is because the fish in the tank easily get most if not all of the frog's food eaten before they even find it. They also may be picked on, and on occasion ADF's will mistake the long flowing fins of some fish as food. Some slight physical damage has occurred to such fish kept with ADF's. So, ADF's are really best suited to a species only tank. As far as food for them, HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites along with thawed frozen bloodworms, mosquito larvae, and Livebearer fry are all good. I feed mine every other night and I alternate between Bloodworms and HBH food. An ADF tank should have plenty of hiding places, I use overturned terra cotta pots (about 4" diameter) and some easy to grow plants to make mine feel safe. ADF's do not have an excessive bioload, however they do in fact make a mess when they eat. Thus weekly PWC's and even a food dish are in order. I recently got a cheap food dish at a craft store, a 5" terra cotta drip tray used for small flower pots. Just get the food in the dish and you don't have to worry about it making as big a mess in the substrate.

Whew, sorry for such the long winded post. As you can see, ADF's are somewhat specialized when it comes to keeping them happy. I hope you are able to get you ADF at least one friend, just be sure you provide them with the proper habitat.

Enjoy your ADF! (y)

Our ADF's are in a 65 gal aquarium which is about 24" tall and they have no problems. We've got 3 of them, and they are nice, fat little guys. They're fun to watch move around the tank, just make sure they have hiding places for when they don't want to be seen.

Good fry hunters? Mines a clumsy oath. Couldnt catch a cold. I feed him worms off a shish cabob skewer cause the fish always take his blood worms i use fish bait. The smallest earthworms come in 30 pack for a couple bucks. Cut them in ½" pieces and feed him 2x a day.

Blood worms in winter must use turkey baster to get the food to him and chase off the fish.

Back
Top Bottom