African Dwarf Frog Set Up Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CRexy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m trying another go at a 5.5 gal tank to hopefully house an ADF. This time I plan to cycle the tank before acquiring any aquatic friends.

I would like to try jump starting the process by “seeding the tank.” I want to purchase a piece of drift wood from my local pet store where I plan to purchase my Frog & shrimp hoping that will be my “seed.” Any thoughts?

I’d also like to add a moss ball and maybe bamboo. Can they be added during the cycling process?

Is a tank cover and light important?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Usually seeded filter media is used, I'm not sure what amount of success you will have. I think if it was me i'd go ahead and try with the wood, but have seachem stabilty or some kind of bacteria starter on hand to use.

A hood or top will help control evaporation. You will need a basic light of some sort for moss ball or bamboo.

Thanks for the response toolman! I was wondering you had any thoughts on when if the addition of the plants occur during or after the cycling process and can the tank cycle happen with or without the cover and light? I am on a tight budget and trying I am trying to acquire what I may need incrementally.

Thanks Again!

You can save up for those, although the plants would help keep ammonia,nitrites and nitrate down during your cycle. And i would get the light as close to the time you get the plants as possible, as they will grow better with the light.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom