African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ar2169

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my fogs has a woolly growth on it's face - side of mouth - which is white/grey in color.

Does anyone know if this is a fungal or bacterial growth and how I should treat it?

i checked my frog today and he has the SAME THING!!! i'm calling my lfs right now to see if i can find anything out!!

hi friend, i went to my lfs.... the infection is more than likely a FUNGUS. i bought some aquarium salt and methlyene blue. penicillin was also an option, but since i have a 30 gallon tank, it would have been about $25 total for meds for a $3 frog and i really dind't want to spend that much. instead i bought some methylene blue, which i was told would work. i took the frog out of the tank, put him on a paper towel, and dripped one drop on his body where the fungus is . it is a bottle of drops and it is BLUE, hence the name. i put him back in the tank and put two teaspoons of salt in the tank, even though it says i can put 6 in,.... it just worries me since it's a FW tank, you know!? i'm still kind of a novice though, so don't take my advice! i'm going to post what i did and see if i can get further assitance to see if i just doomed my entire tank or my frog is on its way to a speedy recovery.. hope this kind of helps =]

I'd be careful with adding salt to the tank. Some fish don't like salt in their water. Also I think that the Methlyene blue is very poisonous if you overdose. I don't have much experience with fungus, but I used to use the methlyene blue meds for treating ick, so I don't know if it also works for fungus or not. Good luck with you recoveries!

Thanks for the advice....

but it was too late for my little frog. The fungus had grown too large before the medications could work.

At least I'll know for mnext time!

Back
Top Bottom