African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimkat29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I used to have guppies in my small 5 gallon, but it quickly became overcrowded due to all the breeding! I would net the adult fish and take them to the adoption tank at the LFS. Then constantly just have babies - when they reproduced, I would take the same action.

I also have one pleco and 2 Kuhli loaches.

My tank is fully cycled and I've had it set up for about a year and a half.

Yesterday, I took my last batch of guppies to the LFS. Done with guppies! I was sure to get all the fish before we had another batch of fry. (However I did find 2 fry, but was able to net them and take them along.) I am absolutely sure there are no more guppies in my tank!

Anyway, I came home with an African Dwarf Frog. I thought he would be more active, but he just stays on the bottom and hides under some of the plants.

Since my tank is so small, I'm limited with my options, but I would like to put something else in there, too. I'd like to add another ADF and probably some fish. Maybe a couple neon tetras. Would my frog eat them? He is tiny himself.

What is a good fish to add with ADF's? What is compatible with the froggies?

Thanks for the help!
Kim

I haven't had much experience with adf's, but one thing I do remember is that you have to be sure you don't have an african clawed frog, because they get freaking huge.

I made sure they were NOT the clawed variety! They DO get pretty large.

Today, I picked up 2 more ADF's. I think I'm calling my tank stocked now. I don't want it to get too over crowded.

I also had large substrate - big 2 - 3" rocks at the bottom because of the constant guppy fry I used to have - didn't want them getting trapped.

I removed all of that today and got regular aquarium gravel so that the frogs are happy and don't get themselves stuck under the bigger rocks. Also, they'll be able to find their food and it won't get stuck under the rocks, leaving them hungry.

Has anyone ever had a problem with ADF's escaping?? The one I got yesterday is pretty mild and doesn't do much. The two I brought home today are extremely active and a lot of fun to watch. However, these 2 swim to the top a lot more and are very jumpy at the top of the water. The water level is about an inch and a half below the top of the tank in an attempt to keep these guys in the water! I also have a lid, but I'm not positive it will keep them in if they attempt an escape. Just curious.

This might give you some ideas. Had two frogs in an 30 gallon low-tech planted aquarium. The largest fish was a common pleco about 3 inches. Also, had rainbow tetra, and the rest you could see from the images.

Peaceful community, I must say. Fish that are the size of neons aren't recommended. The kuhlii might be too small to have with frogs.

Attachments

• 4723878551_16fd3061ae_b[1].jpg
    4723878551_16fd3061ae_b[1].jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 4724532502_c68c1e4d50_b[1].jpg
    4724532502_c68c1e4d50_b[1].jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 128
I made sure they were NOT the clawed variety! They DO get pretty large.

Today, I picked up 2 more ADF's. I think I'm calling my tank stocked now. I don't want it to get too over crowded.

I also had large substrate - big 2 - 3" rocks at the bottom because of the constant guppy fry I used to have - didn't want them getting trapped.

I removed all of that today and got regular aquarium gravel so that the frogs are happy and don't get themselves stuck under the bigger rocks. Also, they'll be able to find their food and it won't get stuck under the rocks, leaving them hungry.

Has anyone ever had a problem with ADF's escaping?? The one I got yesterday is pretty mild and doesn't do much. The two I brought home today are extremely active and a lot of fun to watch. However, these 2 swim to the top a lot more and are very jumpy at the top of the water. The water level is about an inch and a half below the top of the tank in an attempt to keep these guys in the water! I also have a lid, but I'm not positive it will keep them in if they attempt an escape. Just curious.
I have 2 adf and keep them in a 10 gal tank with 2 neons, 5 zebras,2 red finned tetras. They all get along! The adf have 2 hidding spots that they stay in most of the time. I hand feed those guys dried blood worms on metal tongs. Just one happy family!:D

I have 2 adf and keep them in a 10 gal tank with 2 neons, 5 zebras,2 red finned tetras. They all get along! The adf have 2 hidding spots that they stay in most of the time. I hand feed those guys dried blood worms on metal tongs. Just one happy family!:D
and no they never escaped! (yet)

Back
Top Bottom