African dwarf frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunder-head

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i have just got a new tank and have 2-3 mollys to go in it but was looking at getting some african dwarf frogs to go with them. Will these two co-habit peacefully? Any thoughts?

I think they could live together, but ADF's are a bit hard to feed. Sometimes you have to literally put the food in front of their face. You would have to take care that they are getting enough to eat since they would be in a tank with other fish. The feeding problem is why I wouldn't keep mine in my community tank, but it is worth a try.

I have 2 ADF's in my 55g freshwater community tank w/ 4 Mollies and they do great together! Although, every once in a while a stray fin will float past the ADF's and they nip. They don't hurt the fish, but boy do they swim away fast when that happens. lol

I haven't had any feeding problems w/ mine, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't. I found that beginning a routine when I first got them helped a lot w/ that. My ADF's started out in a 10g and they grew accustomed to a feeding location/schedule. They were then able to adapt to the 55g and they continued w/ the same routine.

After trying them in a community I now keep ADF's in a species only tank, but that doesn't mean it can't work if you're careful. First of all, what size tank is it?

+1 McLumpy... I had my dwarf frog in with my betta and it didn't work out to well. The betta pecked at him a bit but then left him alone. However, if the betta's fins swept by close enough, the frog would jump after it (I believe they are about as blind as a bat). One time the frog even held on when the betta began to dart away. That was just my experience, but go for it and see how things work out if you want.

Ok that is a fine sized tank for ADF's but much too small for mollies. They need a minimum of 29 gal and your tank is 18 gals. They can reach a size of 5" at maturity and being livebearers they have a huge bio-load at that size. Guppies and/or platties would be a fine choice for an 18 gallon however.

One of my frogs attacks my hand when I feed...sometimes other frogs get in his way as well..I'd hate to see what he could do to a fish..just a word of caution there.

ADF's have very sensitive skin so take care you don't use fake plants with pokey's that could injure them and file any sharp edges on decor with a metal nail file. Also make sure all decor is firmly planted into the substrate (which should also be smooth) because they tend to slam around a bit and can get caught if they knock something over and drown, since of course they surface for air. I use all live plants with my frogs and would highly recommend that, or silk at the very least. They will enjoy the plants and spend alot of time in them that way. They are very blind, so feeding in the same place every day is advisable. I drop their food into their favorite cave and now they just know that's where they go to eat. In a community setting you may have to be more diligent and keep an eye to be sure they get to the food before the fish. I used to keep them with guppies and found the guppies would be fat and overfed before I could get any food to the frogs, so it can be tricky. Also ADF's are prone to bowel impaction which causes bloating and often death. To prevent this feed them only frog and tadpole bites and thawed frozen foods like bloodworms and brine/mysis shrimp. I alternate every day between the bites and the frozen foods. In a community setting of course they will get ahold of some flake, which is fine, but pellet/wafer foods and freeze dried foods would be very bad for them.

I am going to get a virtual hand slap for this, but I have one ADF in a community 20. I tried for a long time to feed him but he just didn't get it. My fish got the food or it just rotted. So one day I gave up. I figured they find food in the wild, maybe he can find food in the tank. That was about 5 months ago and he is still going. He has been even more active since I got my nitrates under 15 regularly.

The "wild" comparison isn't really fair now is it. In the wild it isn't confined to 20 gallons of water with no live prey.

+1 siva, there is nothing "wild" about a fish tank and inert pellets. I have seen them hunt when I put live mosquito larvae in, but by no means is it the "wild".

When I first got him I would turkey baster food under his nose and keep the fish away for 5-10 minutes. He wouldn't eat. Then fish would come in and get it or it would rot. Not good for the water. Maybe now that I have been around a bit longer, you can suggest another option or method. He does seem to be doing okay as is, even though I don't know what it is he is eating. I feed lightly and not much hits the bottom.

Thanks for the help guys, will monitor them v closely when i get them! Have put a stocking plan on another thread (all checked with that great aqadvisor.com) - cant wait to get my froggies :D

It's really hard to say. I have one frog that I believe would attack anything. I barely trust him with the other frogs :ermm:

Hi depending on how tall the tank is is a big factor on keeping ADFs cause in a taller tank they will stress out to get air .
That's what happened to some that I had in a 44 gallon corner tank and in my 90 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom