African knife wont come out of its hide.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roberts48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know why my African knife won't come out of his log hide he eats but only when I put the food in the hide thing.?

Thats what african knifes do...hide. You cant blame them for their nature!

However, i bet it would help if you supplied alot of plant, and decor cover for him, if you havent already

What other tank mates ?
African Knives are nocturnal. I fed them after lights out. You may want to try a small blue "moonlight" LED so you can see what he does in the dark.

Yours sounds normal.

Yep mine hides all day but at night he's zooming around the tank.

I feed during the day so he comes out very briefly finds a sinking pellet and swims back to his log to eat it :)

Sometimes he comes out in the day time but he is easily startled.

Does anyone know why my African knife won't come out of his log hide he eats but only when I put the food in the hide thing.?
I agree with others on this, African Brown Knifefish are notorious nocturnal predators. Some say that a dimmed light makes them feel a bit more secure. I am not sure about the validity of this statement, that's just what I heard.

I agree that dimmed or moonlight coaxes them from their territory. My African brown knife peeks out of his house and when he decides it's night, goes for a stroll around the aquarium

i must be lucky have two of them and never had this issue there out day and night roaming the tank looking to find there next meal they love there ghost shrimp and black worms plus every so often they get some type of fry to snack on...but when they do want to be left alone there in a cave or in a plant in camo mode....good luck and there fun to feed by hand

Back
Top Bottom