African Leaf Fish and C.A cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiremouthManAl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank set up with some very chilled out firemouths and saw one of these guys at the pet store. I've done my research but haven't been able to find anything about keeping them with some of the more chilled out cichlids. Is there actually a problem with mixing fish from different continents or is that just personal preference?

Well my ph and temp is perfect for it after finding its real name is ctenopoma acutirostre, and I'm fairly confident in my tank size, all that worries me is my tank mates.

Well my ph and temp is perfect for it after finding its real name is ctenopoma acutirostre, and I'm fairly confident in my tank size, all that worries me is my tank mates.

I do apologize as im no help with the tank mates :) someone else should chime in here soon

Sorry, but I'm going to say that it's a resounding "NO". The first reason is that, although Firemouths are reasonably peaceful for cichlids, they can still get rather aggressive to other fish, especially when breeding or if they become territorial. The second reason is that I'm not a believer in mixing fish from different habitats, or different continents. Their mannerisms, diets, preferred water type; everything is different. Third reason: Leaf fish are strict carnivores, while Firemouths are omnivores and need a large portion of their diet to be vegetable matter. It's very difficult to feed each species separately if they share a tank. Either the Firemouths will get a too high protein diet, or the Leaf fish will get a too low protein diet. Fouth reason is that their water requirements aren't the same. While it's true that at the Firemouth's extreme low end of preferred PH, and the Leaf fish's extreme high end PH are about the same, the Firemouth will prefer harder water, while the Leaf fish requires very soft water. It isn't a combo I would try. Leaf fish are very cool, I agree, but I would recommend a species tank so that you can meet their very specific requirements.

Sorry, but I'm going to say that it's a resounding "NO". The first reason is that, although Firemouths are reasonably peaceful for cichlids, they can still get rather aggressive to other fish, especially when breeding or if they become territorial. The second reason is that I'm not a believer in mixing fish from different habitats, or different continents. Their mannerisms, diets, preferred water type; everything is different. Third reason: Leaf fish are strict carnivores, while Firemouths are omnivores and need a large portion of their diet to be vegetable matter. It's very difficult to feed each species separately if they share a tank. Either the Firemouths will get a too high protein diet, or the Leaf fish will get a too low protein diet. Fouth reason is that their water requirements aren't the same. While it's true that at the Firemouth's extreme low end of preferred PH, and the Leaf fish's extreme high end PH are about the same, the Firemouth will prefer harder water, while the Leaf fish requires very soft water. It isn't a combo I would try. Leaf fish are very cool, I agree, but I would recommend a species tank so that you can meet their very specific requirements.

Ah alright I think I will pass then. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom