African or South american?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What does an Oscar classify as? I've never had cichlids, but I really love the oscars. But can't have one because my dad doesn't want one fish in a seventy five gallon.

I love all South American cichlids! I haven't been that interested in African cichlids though.

(BTW bettababe oscars are south american :))

RamCichlidLover said:
I love all South American cichlids! I haven't been that interested in African cichlids though.

(BTW bettababe oscars are south american :))

Thanks.

Okay, so I'd have to say south American then. :D

Now for the explaining...

Well, where should I start? All of my favorite fish are SA cichlids: Rams, discus, angelfish, and pretty much all dwarf SA cichlids. I actually am right now planing my 125 gallon tank even though I might not start the tank until 10, 15, 20, or even 25 years from now. That's a long time I know. It will have several dwarf cichlid species and two or three discus as a center piece (and a school of neons, and some corys, and some other fish:)).

I would say african cichlids because there are many diffrent types and most are not very aggressive also they get to a reasonable size

I've gone both routes in my day. Years ago i used to keep oscars now I keep africans. :-D I think I prefer the africans because you can have alot of fish over say the same size tank and oscars or terrors. But that's just me.

take a look at some of the tanks on here and see which fish you like. I think its cichlids.com or .org that has really good information on them.

Good luck! Let us all know what you decide

I also really love Oscars, and Im not sure I love all the Cichlids but since you asked I say African because I have 6 Peacocks and they all have their own unique character/personality. Just read what ya can on here and whichever you choose enjoy.

I choose sa ca cichlids over Africans any day. To me they just have so much more personality and they get bigger which is cooler.

...and they get bigger which is cooler.

Lake Malawi african cichlids such as those of the nimbochromis genus (venustus, livingstoni, fusco's, etc) and the dimidiochromis genus (such as the malawi eye-biters) get upwards of 10"-11"; Lake Tanganyikan african cichlids such as frontosa's can attain/exceed 12". Fossorochromis rostratus/malawi sand divers, approach nearly a foot and a half.

N. venustus
img_1342403_0_1c35a8003ffccd8e1b275f6338d94b18.jpg

D. Compressiceps (malawi eye biter)
img_1342403_1_5f41867d9806843a24e84e52701708de.jpg

C. frontosa/gibberosa (Mpimbwe variant frontosa)
img_1342403_2_1be9c5dcb64f95b7bbb97b13d28c70b8.jpg

Oscars and Green Terrors are my favorite cichlids....... I feel they have more character then African cichlids.....

Sure there's more type of African cichlids but ain't nothing like the attention south American cichlids give you..... :)

I must be real bored to notice that lol.

Kay bee 19 are those your cichlids?
And yeah my oscars are amazing, my mom calls them her water pups

South American. I just like that they're usually friendlier, and fit better into a community. (not including oscars... I like them... But not in a community Lol, mainly the dwarf species.)

I love my Africans. They're so colorful and have so much personality. I also like the fact that I can have many in a large tank where as only one Oscar can occupy a 75 gallon.

I like SA best because their water needs are easier to meet than Africans, though Africans in general are more stunning in color than SA.

I have two full grown adult JDs and they are characters.

Back
Top Bottom