African stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jer1989

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am just got my 120 gallon aquarium set up and getting ready to start cycling. I have been trying to read as much as possible but still have a few questions. A trip to the LFS convinced me to go the African route. I love the vibrant colors. I know I want Yellow Lab.they also showed me a blue fish but I can't remember the name. In a 120 gallon tank how many Africans can I keep? Ive seen that it is better to overstock to prevent aggression. I've seen that it isn't good to keep two of each species, but can I keep multiples...maybe five or six? Filtration wise, I have two canisters Fluval 305 and Magnum 350 and a HOB 350.

I'm curious what you went with. I'm on day 18 of my fish-in cycle on my 110 gal tank. I have 5 gold fish with 2 penguin 400s and a new Fluval 406. My tank just starting getting noticeably clearer yesterday so I'm getting anxious.

I'm going the peacock route. I think I will start with 10. I will rehome my goldfish and add 5 new ones. Does that sound smart to those in the know? Can't wait to start stocking and looking forward to hearing how your experience is going. Peace.

Peacock need more space but I have never done 110g peacock tank id say add 5 at a time or 10 just try to get them all at once of you can it's better if you do. And second either go all males or make sure you even the number of females if you have 2 females and 8 males they will go crazy and kill each other and if you go all males they act like monks. Or 15 males and 10 females would be better. Me personally I have no interest in breeding so I went the all male rout

Xwing,

Are you saying 110 gal tank is not big enough for peacocks? In your example, are you assuming the male and females are all the same species or can I mix the females as long as total comes to 10? I'm planning on all males because I want variety and color. I was shooting for 25 or in total. Too many or could I go more? I had one person tell me 40 but that seems like a high number.

Thanks for reply in advance.

Peace

Xwing,

Are you saying 110 gal tank is not big enough for peacocks? In your example, are you assuming the male and females are all the same species or can I mix the females as long as total comes to 10? I'm planning on all males because I want variety and color. I was shooting for 25 or in total. Too many or could I go more? I had one person tell me 40 but that seems like a high number.

Thanks for reply in advance.

Peace

Not at all just saying I have never stocked peacocks in 110g I think 25 to 30 but 30 might be a lot. 40 is just crazy they are peacocks not mbuna also all males is better if you so females make it an even number or close to it otherwise fight club will break out

I think peacock cichlids would look nice but I wouldn't add zebra cichlids or other aggressive mbuna. From what I heard, the result is not pleasant

I think peacock cichlids would look nice but I wouldn't add zebra cichlids or other aggressive mbuna. From what I heard, the result is not pleasant

I agree if your doing peacocks stay with peacocks as they are not as aggressive as mbuna I have heard you can mix some haps but I would definitely stay away from mbuna

Depending on what size you buy the Peacocks at, the less dominant Peacocks will not colour up. You will have to trade some Peacocks that are more agressive until you find the right mix of aggression. I have a 180 stocked with haps, peacocks, less agressive mbuna and a victorian. There are many protomelas and placidochromis species that do well with peacocks. I also like copadichromis verdunyi. My vics are Kyoga Flameback and Ruby Green. The milder Mbuna are yellow lab, rusty, acei, and some other labidochromis species like Friedbergi. I grow out my fish in another tank and then introduce them when they are larger. This helps on the cost of the fish.
Good luck.

I have a 5 foot 120 gallon with about 55 mbuna. Yellow electric, red zebra, socolofi, white top hara, acei, maingano, fuelleborni, and synodontis catfish. All are doing great, one of my yellow electrics is holding now. I got them all as juveniles online.

I do have extra filtration for all those fish:
Fx5
Xp4
Fluval 306

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391473208.555073.jpg

Back
Top Bottom