African vs American

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's a looker!! That orange spot on his fin is making my eyes hurt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He's a looker!! That orange spot on his fin is making my eyes hurt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Yeah he's a pretty nice looking fish. Especially when the lime green bars are standing out, against the jet black depending what kinda mood he's in. He can go all light grey as well to all dark. And that tail spot is almost perfect.

It's hard to believe they grow that quickly. This would be good for a sticky.

Lovely fish. What size is that tank? When I win the lottery I'm gonna buy a house big enough to put 3 of those in......

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a 6 foot, 125 gallon marineland Monterey. I've raised quite a few oscars but never a wild caught before and he definitely is growing faster than any domestic ones I've had. Seems to be 2-3 months ahead of them in size. Lots of large frequent water changes is the trick to getting most fish, especially large cichlids, to grow big and healthy at a good rate. I do 2-3 50-75% water changes a week. Goal is to keep nitrates below 20ppm.

I look at it as South Americans are larger, and more exotic, with special care needs. Africans are smaller, funner, and more versatile.

To me it would boil down to tank size, there are some really good looking SA's but you need a very large tank (125 gallon +) to do with new worlds what you can achieve with Africans in say a 55.

One thing to consider is your local water properties. Local water chemistry may lend itself to keeping certain fish. It's much easier and less stressful to not have to constantly adjust and monitor your water parameters

One thing to consider is your local water properties. Local water chemistry may lend itself to keeping certain fish. It's much easier and less stressful to not have to constantly adjust and monitor your water parameters

Yes! This is very important. My water is perfect for Africans, I don't worry about it at all. My tropical community tank I have to monitor, and tweek with every water change.

I look at it as South Americans are larger, and more exotic, with special care needs. Africans are smaller, funner, and more versatile.

To me it would boil down to tank size, there are some really good looking SA's but you need a very large tank (125 gallon +) to do with new worlds what you can achieve with Africans in say a 55.

Except for all the dwarf species, and mid sized species (like keyholes and cupido). Most of the big bruisers are Central American. There really aren't a great del of big South American species. There several, but not nearly as many as Central America. CA also has smaller genera like thorichthys, cryptoheros, amatitlania, archocentrus, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you plan on keeping any plants?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry. Was that question aimed at me? I don't plan on keeping anymore cichlids at this moment. I am trying to get a mates pair of fire mouths ATM. I do keep plant with then but only a handful. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405757980.169190.jpg

9:20 Saturday morning predictive text spelling.....sorry

Back
Top Bottom