Africans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KonvictKeeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So. I have been doing S&C American cichlids and wanted to know how to set up an african tank. Well, actually how to stock it. I have an extra 55g. What could I do with it? I like Malawis. Blue would be my main color scheme. I like Aceis, johannis, zebras (cobalt blue!), demasoni, peacocks (some blues, maybe a few calico ones here and there), I also like labs (to have some other color besides blue). Could I do maybe a dozen fish? Would that be way overstocking?

PS I do not plan on doing this soon. Just so I know what to stock if i do.

aceis need bigger than a 55g sorry
CBZ can be meanies but are stunners imo! check out the cobue afra range :) peacocks do sorta work with mbuna, but its risky.
demasoni are luck and chance because of extra agression
you could do about 4m 16f, then you can weed out the nasty fish til u have about 2m 12f or so. plus some females may accidentally be males, so this can be sorted by the initial overstocking.
i think a great african tank should have things like driftwood, cave structures and either cichlid stones or holey rock for the fry's sake. this is an opinion, not fact :)
there will be a heirarchy, there will be a leader and it may be a killer. the trick is to remove the worst agressors before the next one to lead learns the tricks, as they can get worse and so on. i found this and it took ages to sort out!
fuelleborni can come in blue and have awesome patterns, but top of my reccomendations are defo the zebras. iv raised and adored them for ages, and i think OB are wicked!

do u want more fancy or personality in there?
fancy is more:
peacock and fuelleborni
personality is more:
zebra ans demasoni

once again this is opinion and experience not fact x

+1 on Acei... They need a min of 6 foot tank as they live swimming and darting around.... Idk how else to explain it..... Awesome to watch... I love mine. I have johanni and cobalt blues and they are neat too... But plz rethink Acei.... Stunning yes....

well that is possible, however they will be constantly stressed and may harrass everything in the tank. will have a much shorter life span.

so what do u think is gonna work? i love a new tank set up :D xx

If u like blues check out the psuedotropheus zebras very beautiful fish or scolofis... blues prob one of the more dominant color traits with Malawi id say so u have quite a lrg selection to choose from...do u plan on adding any other colors though like some yellows oranges or reds

In a 55 3 stocked species (1m-4f) would be max IMO . When starting one of my 55g had these three in it as juvies and great color mix....

That's what I started with in one of my 55.... Tho I soon ended up with my 90 and 140 and now a 125 a few months ago :) and my 40 g breeder planted with shrimp... :)

Back
Top Bottom