Aggravated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ole scratch

Aquarium Advice Regular
75 gallon. Parameters are just about as perfect gets. Except for my pH and gh. Around 8.2 for pH. 300+ ppm for gh. My water is so hard that I could sue the water company for assault and battery. I can't seem to keep even angels alive and this is going to evolve into a discus tank. The only thing bad about the parameters is the pH and gh. Ammonia 0, nitrites < 0.5 ppm, nitrates <20 ppm (close to 15-17 ppm), chlorine/chloramine 0. Thinking about using the peat route. Going to run a little internal filter, packed with organic peat moss, that runs top end of 97.75 gph. Considering the size of the tank and the low turnover (I can reduce it to around 45 gph) of the filter, can I actually do this without killing my fish due to pH shock? Just use that little filter as a committed water softener. That small of a setup shouldnt have that large an effect on a large tank I wouldn't think. Also should be installing a jebao rw-8 later this evening. Thanks for all the future advice.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

75 gallon. Parameters are just about as perfect gets. Except for my pH and gh. Around 8.2 for pH. 300+ ppm for gh. My water is so hard that I could sue the water company for assault and battery. I can't seem to keep even angels alive and this is going to evolve into a discus tank. The only thing bad about the parameters is the pH and gh. Ammonia 0, nitrites < 0.5 ppm, nitrates <20 ppm (close to 15-17 ppm), chlorine/chloramine 0. Thinking about using the peat route. Going to run a little internal filter, packed with organic peat moss, that runs top end of 97.75 gph. Considering the size of the tank and the low turnover (I can reduce it to around 45 gph) of the filter, can I actually do this without killing my fish due to pH shock? Just use that little filter as a committed water softener. That small of a setup shouldnt have that large an effect on a large tank I wouldn't think. Also should be installing a jebao rw-8 later this evening. Thanks for all the future advice.

My advice and I know this might sound harsh... I would not get discus unless you had another supply of water that would be more suitable for them. Anytime you have to add softeners of any kind to bring the pH down would worry me, a sudden spike up or a pH crash which can happen could spell disaster in an instant. I've heard about peat moss helping soften the water but what happens when you do a water change which you'll have to do often with discus?
I believe discuss and most fish would prefer a "steady" more neutral pH that would be tough trying to provide given your water conditions.

Ive heard about so many people being able to keep discus in hard water. I have spoken to local breeders about it. My water is even harder than yours, and i have two functioning discus tanks. I have also heard about domestic discus living thriving in high ph, but i don't have personal advice for that.

I thought my water was hard for discus...I guess I'm lucky to have tap water at a pH of 7.8 average. I also keep and have kept discus as well but never heard of anyone keeping them in hard water, I'd be interested to hear from others as well.

Don't mess with chemicals or trying to bring it down with peat, that can lead to drastic PH swings. Best bet would be to get an RO/DI unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My understanding of how peat works, it won't cause destabilization because it also lowers the balance of the kh along with the gh in a balanced lowering of the pH. I'm just wondering if that little filter with such a small amount of peat will lower it too much.

I mean, will it lower it to much to fast. Not really with it right now.

You'll have to do water changes, and unless you're going to have a 55 gallon + container that will also be filtered with peat you have PH swings still. Buy a RO/DI unit or get fish that will work with your water chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom