Aggresive Gold Ram Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slappyking

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, i bought 4 Gold Ram Cichlids a couple of weeks ago and 2 of them have seemed to have paired up..which is great, the only problem is that they keep attacking the other 2 (males i think), im thinking about taking the 2 males back to the fish shop..

Is this normal behaviour for Cichlids or is it because there's 3 male's (1 definitely male and think the other 2 are aswell) and 1 female? or are the 2 paired ones ready to breed? Do they get more aggressive at this time?

Tank size: 60 litres (medium planted with open space for swimming)
Fish: 4 Gold Rams / 1 Bristle nose

Thankyou
~ Martyn

Yes, sounds completely normal in a tank that small. You'll need to re-home the other two, as you've only got room for one pair of cichlids in that tank.

Thankyou for the reply..

Thats what i thought, the guy at the fish shop was like "yer they'll be fine" but seeing them acting like they are has definitely made me think twice about takng his advice lol.

Maybe if i took those 2 males back and exchanged them for some smaller fish like neons or something?

Yeah, that would be a good idea. I'd stay away from any bottom dwellers, as that pair will not take a liking to them. Some schooling fish would be fine.

Thankyou very much for the advice :) Love it when people tell you what your already thinking to confirm your gut feeling is right.

Back
Top Bottom