Aggressive cherry barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
it's almost a contradiction in terms... these fish have been very peaceful as long as I've had them. But the one remaining male (who I think attacked the other, which died) is now aggressively chasing the females to the point where they're hiding behind the tank thermometer. A third female is hiding under the driftwood. It's not just the usual mating behavior. I'd add some sort of current events/Mel Gibson reference but let's keep it clean ;0

what do I do with this mad male?

Well, how many do you have? They are usually less aggressive in larger groups, I'd say at least 6-8. Preferrably more IMO. I'm not sure on the male to female ratio with barbs, but maybe you need more females? Just a suggestion :)

If you can maybe add a few more females (looks like you have 3 females and a male?). That way, his aggression is spread out even further. Unfortunately the males can harass the females to death sometimes....and some males are more aggressive than others. Seems like you have a pretty bad dude there. Maybe with the aggression spread out even further with 6 females, they won't all hide.

yes, 3 females, one male. I started with two of each, and after nearly two years of scattered eggs and trying to keep the fry happy, I've ended up with just one female offspring. She ate more than any fry I've ever had, must be why she stuck around.

He's been pursuing them to mate, and was the more active of the two males, but I didn't think he'd get all stabby. Anyway, I've moved him over to the rainbowfish tank, until I can figure out what to do... they won't bug him, but they won't take any guff either.

Buying new to pad the tank number would be an option... except the LFS only has the normal cherries anymore, no albinos. Not sure how that would work out.

peaceful barbs? you must have been lucky so far, they have a huge Napoleon complex.

Cherry barbs are different from tiger barbs, odessa barbs, etc, in that they normally don't nip or chase other species. At least I've never seen them do it.

I'm tempted to pick up some 'normal' (non-albino) cherries, put 'em in the albino tank, and see what happens. Either big win, or epic fail, I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom