Aggressive Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammo2001

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I just added a tomato clown to my tank and she's being pretty aggressive towards my other fish. I have isolated the fish but is it worth keeping it? Will it be aggressive towards anything I add to the tank in the future?

sammo2001 said:
Hey I just added a tomato clown to my tank and she's being pretty aggressive towards my other fish. I have isolated the fish but is it worth keeping it? Will it be aggressive towards anything I add to the tank in the future?

Tomato clowns are VERY aggressive. This won't change and will probably become even more territorial once it's been there a while. I would get rid of it. You will most likely have issues when adding anything.

Thanks for that. Are other clowns this aggressive? I'm wanting to get a cleaner wrasse and a blue streak damsel to go in the tank too.

sammo2001 said:
Thanks for that. Are other clowns this aggressive? I'm wanting to get a cleaner wrasse and a blue streak damsel to go in the tank too.

No. I have had clowns a long time and they aren't all aggressive like that. I have a mated pair of black and white in QT now waiting to go into my tank and another true percent in my other (have two 55 gallon tanks).

image-1997600147.jpg

Normally I don't have the sand in there and if they come down with anything I have a hospital tank but these two were in a tank with lots of other fish small and large. Tomatoes are just very aggressive.

nikki_kaiser said:
No. I have had clowns a long time and they aren't all aggressive like that. I have a mated pair of black and white in QT now waiting to go into my tank and another true percent in my other (have two 55 gallon tanks).

Normally I don't have the sand in there and if they come down with anything I have a hospital tank but these two were in a tank with lots of other fish small and large. Tomatoes are just very aggressive.

* true percula...I hate auto correct!

One last thing though, read up on damsels. Yes, clownfish are in the damsel family but most of the actual damsels I've ever had were horrible mistakes due to their aggressive behavior and being territorial. If you want a tank of easy going fish, most of the time a damsel is not the best choice.

Hopefully i can take him back and swap it. Yeah I did read that about damsels somewhere. Is there a good website somewhere that I can find which fish go with what? I would hate to have to learn the hard way.

Clowns can be agressive, its sad but its the truth :/ maroon clowns are known to be a bit on the agressive side and so are tomato clowns. True percs are more agressive then ocellaris clowns which are by far the least agressive.

This is my advice to you. If you want clowns dont spend 50 extra bucks just because it says "mated clown pair" on the glass. Waste of money IMO, so to the tank with the 10-15 dollar ocellaris clowns (remember, non agressive) and buy the largest one in the tank and the smallest one in the tank. Now be intelligent about this... If the smallest one is the size of a fly dont buy it, but you want one clown to be smaller then the other. This way they wont fight about who gets to be the female in the relationship and they should live happily ever after. The end :)

sammo2001 said:
Hopefully i can take him back and swap it. Yeah I did read that about damsels somewhere. Is there a good website somewhere that I can find which fish go with what? I would hate to have to learn the hard way.

This can help but honestly I would look at what you like and read a little further. Sometimes it's questionable. I know that may not help much but you could always post for what people think in here. Many people have had these fish and can tell you the +/- of having them and degree of difficulty keeping them.
www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Clowns can be agressive, its sad but its the truth :/ maroon clowns are known to be a bit on the agressive side and so are tomato clowns. True percs are more agressive then ocellaris clowns which are by far the least agressive.

This is my advice to you. If you want clowns dont spend 50 extra bucks just because it says "mated clown pair" on the glass. Waste of money IMO, so to the tank with the 10-15 dollar ocellaris clowns (remember, non agressive) and buy the largest one in the tank and the smallest one in the tank. Now be intelligent about this... If the smallest one is the size of a fly dont buy it, but you want one clown to be smaller then the other. This way they wont fight about who gets to be the female in the relationship and they should live happily ever after. The end :)

Nu-Nu is absolutely right!! Don't pay for a "mated pair". All clowns are males until one morphs into the female. I only bought my two because the guy gave me a good deal and I buy all my stuff from him.

Turns out I can take the clown back in a couple of weeks once he has settled down. I think I'll have to do some research and find some peaceful fish to get. I'm not worried about having a clown but it doesn't quite feel like a reef tank without Nemo.

You can absolutely still have a clown fish!! :) I have a b/w oscellaris clown. SO cute and funny. Just get an oscellaris, they're much more friendly than the tomato or maroon.

At the moment the clown is just hiding under a rock in a hole that its claimed as its own. He does come out to eat and right now the night lights are on but it was hiding a bit before that. Hopefully he is ok and it's not showing a sign of stress that I'm not picking up on.

I find myself adding small bits of food to try and get the fish to come out. Wrong thing to do I know but it eats all the food I put in which is good.

Extra food extra nutrient extra poop high nitrate nitrite watch what you put in take out the excess with a pwc

Yeah I watch the water quality like a hawk as I'm not having much luck with my fish. I usually do a water change once a week if I'm home.

This is all he does now. I don't know if all is well and he's hosting or if he's sick. He didn't eat very much this morning though.

Sometimes a fish can take up to a week to get comfortable on a new tank. I would just give her some time to get used to new place.

Hopefully it's eating enough to get through that time. I think I'm just comparing how much it eats with how much the molly eats and that thing is a pig!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom