Aggressive ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had a problem with their ghost shrimp becoming aggressive or bullying any fish? Mine have almost eaten the tail off of one of my Cory's. I had him quarantined & he was doing good put him back in just now & the swarmed him & were trying to get his tail. I had to take him back out. I don't know what to do. I think that may have been what happened to one of my other Cory's that recently died.

Ghost shrimp is a generic name for a few different species of similar looking shrimp ... some of which are a bit aggressive / predatory. Sometimes these are baby long armed shrimp that resemble ghost shrimp.

I've had this tank set up since December & had no problems. However I recently started giving them blood worms as a treat to the entire tank & I also bought some shrimp/sprinulla wafers for the Cory's, but as soon as I drop the wafers the shrimp get them more than the Cory's. since I've given them the new wafers & blood worms they are becoming aggressive.

And looking at the bigger ones I think they may be the long armed shrimp. There a a few that sizably larger than the rest. Wish I had someone to give some too!

And looking at the bigger ones I think they may be the long armed shrimp. There a a few that sizably larger than the rest. Wish I had someone to give some too!

Get a little 4 or 5 gallon nano tank, and make it shrimp only.

I've got a 30, 60,10, 1 gallon. If I get another I may get divorced & I'm out of room.

One of my ghost shrimp turned out to be a freshwater long armed shrimp! That sucker was easily almost 2 inches. I moved it to my 10 gallon and he was happy to be alone. Not too bad for 33 cents.

Well we got "10 for $2" but was more like 30. Eventually they got down to about 15 or so but my females are producing babies like nobodies business. I say they are back around 30 or so but probably more @ feeding time they come out of nowhere & swarm the bottom of the tank. But the bigger ones have red tips on their legs & antennas.

Yeah this is why I don't plan on ever getting any ghost shrimp I have heard the can be aggressive

Well my 4 year old was completely enamored by then so we got them. I figured most would eat eaten by our rainbow shark but he could care less. He doesn't mind any bottom dwellers, just mid to upper level fish.

Back
Top Bottom