Aggressive gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattandbenny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a community tank, i have one moonlight gourami and one golden gourami, and the golden gourami is always chasing the blue one about. Is this normal or have i got an aggressive fella? cheers.

My gold gouramis are highly aggressive toward my dwarf gouramis, so much so that I have to keep them in seperate tanks.

I don't think tank size will make a difference, I had mine in a 75 gallon.
Here is a quote from Animal Planet
Social Behaviors:
The Gold Gourami are generally considered a good community fish when small, but they are not as peaceful as the other gouramis. They have been known to attack smaller fish. When they get older, only keep them with fish their own size. Individuals will show varying degrees of aggression. Some will be very belligerent and will handle their tank mates quite roughly. Others will be peaceful to the point of shyness. The aquarist should be prepared to adapt their tank to suit all personality types.

I have 2 gold gourami's in my 50 gall I bought it second hand and they were already in there. Now when we first got it the one gourami was mercilessly bullying the other, and there was also a molly that was taking chunks out of everything else. I moved the molly into my 20 gallon and the gouramis are now quite happy in each others company!
I am new to all this so I don't understand the whys and wherefores of it all just thought i would share the info in case it helps anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom