Aggressive Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one rainbow shark in my 29 gal with my 2 black skirt tetras, 3 lemon tetras, and 3 bloodfin tetras. I know that rainbow sharks are compatible with the fish i have... but it seems that my shark doesn't get along with them. It chases my tetras all the time and I noticed that one of my blackskirt's tail was torn. I don't know what i can do?? I would put the shark in my 10 gal but i'm guessing he will get too big, or he can't go with my 5 danios and platy...
can anyone please suggest something?

The rainbow shark will be too small for the 10 gal tank and the shark will most likely destroy the cory.

The zebra danios should be fine since they swirm mostly on the top and they are fast.

same problem here...had a rainbow shark that got real cranky in my 10g...used to chase the rosy barbs and black skirt tetras all the time...
unfortunately/fortunately it got an infection form a bruise and didn't recover...
i guess 29g should have been ok...
general rule is to introduce the most aggressive fish last, giving more docile species time to acclimate...
so u could move the shark to the 10g for a week or so and then move it back to the 29g...but i am not sure it will definitely work... :|

I know nothing of your layout, but to help save your tetras and please your shark, you can provide decorations, rock caves, plants, pvc pipes, etc. This will provide the shark with an abundance of places to dominate, and the plants can provide a hiding place for the tetra. Also, you can net your shark, place it in a temporary container and rearrange decorations (if you already have some) and add a few more, then put him back in, he will think it's a new place. If this don't work, uh....I'm not sure :|

And a 10 gallon tank is way too small for the shark. Unless it is a very temporary home and if it's empty.

Cheers :)

I agree with pcktlnt - if you provide a hidey hole type space for the shark, he'll pretty much just act like a grumpy old man chasin them away from his yard. I have a rainbow shark in my 29 gal with his own home and another in a 55 gal. with some driftwood too call his. They both will only chase the other fish away from that area and pretty much keep to themselves. It's worth a shot!

I had the same problem with a Red tailed Shark..he was fine for three weeks then all of a sudden he became very aggresive...chasing my bloodfin Tetras non stop...I finally decided to evict him from the tank.

thanks for the help people///
the shark will most likely destroy the cory.
so should i put my cory in the 29 gal to be safe?

also, i do have a big rock with holes in it and my shark likes to sit in there , sort of like a cave... and i do have a plastic plant there too which he likes to hide in.... but, often he swims to the top of the aquarium to bother the tetras.... so maybe i should buy more decorations to fool him (thinking its a new tank), and for now leave him in the 10 gal for a week....
thanx!

I guess you should try rearranging the rocks, caves and the plastic plants in the 29 gal.

I guess try not to put any corys with rainbow shark coz my rainbow shark killed 3 corys before.

The bigger the shark the more aggressive they become.

I'd have to echo that , my rainbow shark terrorized my cories , but left my tetras , ottos , & rasboras alone . As previouisly mentioned , I'd try adding some pvc tubing & would try to ensure the tank has plenty of plants , bogwood , & rocks . I gave up & returned the shark to the store . Rainbow sharks & cories are not a good mix . Neither are rainbow sharks & : redtailed black sharks , siamese algae eaters , flying foxes , & chinese algae eaters .

Huh....I must have a pacifist rainbow shark, he leaves the cories alone in my 55g. He's about 1 1/2 yrs and 6 or so inches and the cories are teeny barely an inch(can't get em to grow!) Do you think it's their small size?

Back
Top Bottom