Aggressive Threadfin Rainbow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had 3 of these guys, then last night I added 3 more. Now the big male of the school is chasing the new ones around and flaring at them. I thought these guys were a very peaceful species. What's going on here?
I'm worried because the new ones are a little smaller and look more fragile than the others.
Thanks!

Ok now I'm wondering if they are trying to breed. I thought my pHwas too high for that. But it looks like all the old ones are males and the new ones are females. The males are swimming next to the new ones flapping their fins up and down and a few times the other fish responded and flapped and they got pretty close. Does this sound like they are mating? The new ones look so small and fragile.

It certainly sounds like they are displaying for each other. If they actually spawn, you'll probably never know it because they are egg scatterers and will eat their own eggs just as much as your other fish. LOL.

The males are really beautiful when they are displaying! :)

Ok cool! I can't believe they are getting busy so fast. Will they run the females ragged? Do I need to worry about them?

Ours don't, and we have more males than females. I wouldn't worry at this point. Hopefully they will settle down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom