Agressive Female Apistogramma agassizii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dangerman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, my first post.. been keeping fish 8 weeks ina 180litre tank..

Originally started with 3 platies and 6 long fin danios for cycling.. then added 2 apisto double reds male and female with 10 cardinal tetras and 6 rummy nose tetras and 4 cory julii.. All well till i added, and was told by my lfs 6 golden barbs... Result = barbs too fast to furious for the Apistos who became stressed and I lost the male who died and the female dissappeared for a while.

I decided to take back a load of fish and change the tank.. So... I took back the danios, platies, barbs and the lfs gave me full price refund.. i bought 5 hatchets, 6 yellow phantom tetras, 6 glowfish tetras and 3 peacock dwarf rainbows and 3 dwarf red geramis... tank a lot quieter... all fish small so plenty of space

The remaining Apisto female, still hiding.. till yesterday when she appeared and started being aggressive with territory... havnt seen her eat recently but looked healthy but had become much brighter in yellow colour than i remmeber.. lfs told be she is looking for a mate.. I bought 1 new male apisto same species and another female..

Heres my problem.. since i added the apistos, the remaining female is well aggressive to them chasing them everywhere, mind you just as aggressive with the cory juliis.... can you give me any advice or let me know in your experience whats going on?

Ok now the new male was off his food and this morning I found him dead :(I have read loads on forums this morning and learnt the hard way. Seems its normal for the female to act on this way. Some suggestions inc taking the males out the tank!! Seems more work than I thought keeping this species. I can't see me getting a 2 nd tank for this and now confused what to do next.

So options
1 wait till broody female has stopped spawning aggression and get another male, maybe look at a net nursery tank in case this happens again and the male can't cope
2 leave the 2 remaining females and look to go for a couple of rams instead

I would appreciate any comment or advise and disappointed no one gave me any feedback to my post so far :(

Back
Top Bottom