Agressive Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atriz1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a aggressive female white molly that isn't leaving my male red platy alone- and I think she is most likely the cause of my other red platy's deaths. I can't put her in my turtle tank (that is around a 100 gallons) because the fish in there didn't react well to her, and it has a male molly that I had separated in the first place because he was being aggressive to the female molly. Is there any way I can somehow 'tame' her aggressive behavior because I have no other room for her, and I am not sure if getting a bigger tank will help.

Note: this is in a 10 gallon tank with a heater, filter, light, and filter, one real plant and one small fake plant. It also has a angel fish and a snail. This tank has been going since june of this year. The red platys and the white molly are new additions, within the past two weeks.

Thank you!

I had the same problem when I had Molly's on a older tank,she attacked everything apart from the other Molly's I tried re arranging the tank to taking her out for a while but nothing worked I had to get rid off her in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 10g is a bit small for mollies. Best advice I can give is a tank upgrade which would give more room for territory or remove her to another tank/holding container.

There's no simple way to just make a fish stop being aggressive aside from removal.

Caleb

If you can up your tank size that would help. Mollies have a pecking order with one being the boss of the others. They are also food hogs. Mollies need at least 20 gallon tank. A couple of more females would give her someone else to chase. Can you take her back to the pet shop or find her another home?

Note: this is in a 10 gallon tank with a heater, filter, light, and filter, one real plant and one small fake plant. It also has a angel fish and a snail. This tank has been going since june of this year. The red platys and the white molly are new additions, within the past two weeks.

Thank you!

The mollies and platys alone are a bit much for a 10g. I urge you to get a larger aquarium. No way should any angel be housed in a 10g.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to start off by saying please rehome your angel or upgrade your tank. Angels can get big and aggressive, especially in such small space. Angels need at the very minimum a 30 gallon aquarium; but a 40-55 gallon tank is ideal.

Mollies can be aggressive for many reasons. My old dalmation molly used to be quite aggressive.
Male livebearers are very.. obnoxious. I had two male platys, 1 male swordtail, a female platy, 2 female swordtails, and the main fish my molly picked on were the males. Especially the platys. Those two boys would never leave her alone.

Male livebearers tend to be very pushy with the females, which is why the molly may be aggressive towards him.

Also, mollies are little pigs. If she's aggressive at feeding time, that's normal.

But the main problem is space. Those fish really need a bigger tank. Please look into investing a 40 or 55 gallon tank and that should solve your problems :) But your molly may just be aggressive by nature. Mollies are known for that.
My molly even used to chase around my big 4" parrotfish! Haha.

I have a aggressive female white molly that isn't leaving my male red platy alone- and I think she is most likely the cause of my other red platy's deaths. I can't put her in my turtle tank (that is around a 100 gallons) because the fish in there didn't react well to her, and it has a male molly that I had separated in the first place because he was being aggressive to the female molly. Is there any way I can somehow 'tame' her aggressive behavior because I have no other room for her, and I am not sure if getting a bigger tank will help.

Thank you!

You could try adding plants to break lines of sight but others say upgrading tank is best choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom