Ah! Shrimp Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So recently I've asked a lot of questions about my shrimp because I'm wanting to make sure everything is right!! Today I woke up and found a shrimp dead and I though ok this is normal sometimes they die but now there is another dead! So I am concerned something is going on that is killing them...

All my water parameters are good. The rest are all swimming around seemingly fine
Water parameters are
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm

P.S. I am also missing shrimp so I am assuming they got eaten by others and I didn't see the corps I started with 15 2 died after I got them and I can only find 9 now so a few are MIA any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you testing your water? Those readings indicate an uncylced tank (no NO3)

What kind of shrimp?
What fish are in the tank?
How much hiding places do you have?

What is the hardness of your water?

How are you testing your water? Those readings indicate an uncylced tank (no NO3)

What kind of shrimp?
What fish are in the tank?
How much hiding places do you have?

What is the hardness of your water?

Testing water with API master freshwater test kit my tank has been cycled it's just I have quite a few plants to keep levels down
I have red cherries
Only a few Neons are in my tank
There are a few rock and quite a few plants

Testing water with API master freshwater test kit my tank has been cycled it's just I have quite a few plants to keep levels down
I have red cherries
Only a few Neons are in my tank
There are a few rock and quite a few plants

How are you performing the NO3 test? You must follow the directions exactly as they state on the instructions. The API NO3 test is notorious for giving false readings.

Plants are not very efficient at reducing NO3.

The fish are likely picking on the shrimp, especially any smaller ones.

Do you know the gH and kH of your water? Also, what is the temperature?

How are you performing the NO3 test? You must follow the directions exactly as they state on the instructions. The API NO3 test is notorious for giving false readings.

Plants are not very efficient at reducing NO3.

The fish are likely picking on the shrimp, especially any smaller ones.

Do you know the gH and kH of your water? Also, what is the temperature?
Alright I'll redo the test and see if I get the same results and I haven't noticed them picking on my shrimp in fact they hardly pay attention to eachother.. I see shrimp swim right infront of the neon tetras and they don't even react
I don't know my gH and kH of my water and the temp is around 78 F / 25 C

Regardless of readings, shrimp are not very adequate to adjust to change in water.

You will have some initial die off, but the new generation born into your water will be much hardier. Juvenile shrimp are way more capable of changing water parameters, adults are less able to.

Temp for cherry shrimp and neon tetra don't really mix. Keep the temp where it is at, bt the shrimp will grow faster, die faster, and be more prone to disease at higher temps.

Alright thanks, there was another dead this morning so I'm not sure what's going on... I really hope they start breeding and stuff before the population drops too low
Thanks for all your help

I would also turn down the temp by a couple degrees. And do a number of pwc, small ones say 10-15% morning and evening.

What is their shrimp food?

Wondering about the molting as a possible issue.

Do you have any other bottom fish?

I feed them occasionally half an algea wafer and they get scrap flakes from whatever is left my the Neons

No other bottom. Fish just the shrimp..

I was also wondering about molting as a possible issue. Calcium is definitely not an issue if that's your concern with the molting my local water supply has lots in it

I would also turn down the temp by a couple degrees. And do a number of pwc, small ones say 10-15% morning and evening.

What is their shrimp food?

Wondering about the molting as a possible issue.

Do you have any other bottom fish?

Also sorry I forgot to say you were correct about Nitrate test being wrong although hardly anything is in my tank it is actually at 5ppm

2 more dead this morning...... Starting to get very conserned as I only have around 5 cherries left

Back
Top Bottom