Ahner's 40B reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this totally sux. Looks like my tanks gonna be on hold a couple months. The smaller of the two clowns has ich. Oh well better now than later I guess. So ill be setting up a qt within the next few days. I might go ahead and get a few more corals so I have something to look at in the display for the next few months. Oh and I got a duncan yesteday, its small but has like five heads and looks prettt nice.

Awe sorry to hear that!! Make sure your qt tank is fully cycled! A qt can be cheap! Just watch everything else very closely in your dt! What i would do is hyposalinty for ich easiest possible treatment

Good luck! Hope they make it! What treatment method are you going to use?

Probably just hyposalinity, so I dont have to worry about trace copper if I qt inverts in the same system later.
**edit** when I qt future inverts. Im gonna get a few for now. But after I start treatment everything from then on will be qt'd.

So my reactor with the rox carbon completely clogged within a week. So I got a filter bag to run the carbon, and started running biopellets in the reactor. I know there's a lot of mixed reviews on biopellets so wish me luck.

I am currently using them they are catalina bulbs and i see great growth! Wont be switching till next year. And i hear good things about bio pellets, dont know much about them, how are your sick fish doing??

They r good. The spots were gone the next day but they will still be treated. Im going to use a hang on filter on the qt, so im running it on the display now to help the cycle.

Glad to hear! I added another smaller hob filter with nothing in it for added water circulation, i am now saving to buy either the jbj duo wavemaker kit or the vortech mp10

Yea im gonna try to get a vortech next month too. But I also really need a controller, because im somtimes gone for days at a time, so that will probably be first.

Well the biopellets seem to working pretty darn good. I started dosing nopox last saturday and wasn't really seeing any drop, if anything it was slowly raising for the next week. Im thinking it wasn't all that effective on its own because I only have about 40lbs barely live rock because it was dry, this is a new tank, and I have no sand. And yes I know I only gave it a week by itself, so I'm not downing it. I'm sure by itself its a great product, and I've continued and still will continue to use it. But anways since I've added the biopellets (just over two days) my nitrate have gone from probably about 15 to about 5. It's a combination of the pellets and nopox, pretty darn impressive though. I've just been using an api kit so the result aren't super accurate, but I haven't needed them to be. Once it bottoms out on the api kit, probably tomorrow, ill start using my red sea kit. Then I will start tweeking the flow rate, or maybe even modding the reactor to be recirculating, so I don't strip the tank of all no and po. I'm very impressed with this combo right now.

Well the biopellets seem to working pretty darn good. I started dosing nopox last saturday and wasn't really seeing any drop, if anything it was slowly raising for the next week. Im thinking it wasn't all that effective on its own because I only have about 40lbs barely live rock because it was dry, this is a new tank, and I have no sand. And yes I know I only gave it a week by itself, so I'm not downing it. I'm sure by itself its a great product, and I've continued and still will continue to use it. But anways since I've added the biopellets (just over two days) my nitrate have gone from probably about 15 to about 5. It's a combination of the pellets and nopox, pretty darn impressive though. I've just been using an api kit so the result aren't super accurate, but I haven't needed them to be. Once it bottoms out on the api kit, probably tomorrow, ill start using my red sea kit. Then I will start tweeking the flow rate, or maybe even modding the reactor to be recirculating, so I don't strip the tank of all no and po. I'm very impressed with this combo right now.

Glad to hear its working! Im going to be buying my ro system soon :)

Nice. I just got a really cheap one right now. I add a water conditioner too to be safe. The next one I get I'm going to spend the extra money and get all the bells and whistles like automated flushes, pressure guages, and tds meters.

Its my first system so im a total noob with these i figure a 6 stage is bell and whistle enough for me ! Comes with a float valve and what not, might resell it, my tanks only 40 gallons lol i could fill mine twice running the system for a day lol

Back
Top Bottom