Aiiiieeeeeeeee! Nitrate attack!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused: My 10 gal. aquarium seems to be cycled, so I did the recommended 90% water change last night. But today I have at least 20ppm and probably more nitrates. Our tap water is showing 5 ppm. Where did all that nitrate in my tank come from? I'll do another water change tomorrow...
Thanks!

Maybe just left over from the cycle? Try doing another big water change and see where you're at after that. I just recently had a cycling tank hit 160 ppm nitrate and it took a few water changes to bring it down to reasonable levels.

:confused: My 10 gal. aquarium seems to be cycled, so I did the recommended 90% water change last night. But today I have at least 20ppm and probably more nitrates. Our tap water is showing 5 ppm. Where did all that nitrate in my tank come from? I'll do another water change tomorrow...

Thanks!

You need to check nitrate prior to the water change and do some maths to calculate how much water is need to drop the nitrate to your goal, say 10ppm. Then check it after the water change to see if you got it right. Checking it a day or two later doesn't prove that you've diluted the nitrate sufficiently in the first place.
Until you've got a comfortable feel of the tank get a pad and write down all readings and all percentage water changes, before and after the water change. It seems a phaf but it's only until you can instinctively know how much water to change for a given high nitrate reading.
You will have to factor in that you are adding some nitrates from the tap but I would have thought a sustainable 10-20ppm is achievable.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Success (maybe)!

My backing off the ammonia gave the secondary bacteria a chance, and I think everything's in balance now. Did a 90% water change tonight and achieved 5 ppm nitrates. So if everything remains stable tomorrow, Rusty gets a new domain. :grin:

Success!

Thanks to all the folks who took the time to post such helpful comments. Rusty is in his new 10 gallon digs, and what a happy fish he is! He couldn't get up a good head of steam in my punchbowl.
:thanks:

The pumpkins

Thank you! the aquarium was put together on a budget, and I'm happy it turned out.

Those little pumpkins are glass, given me by a friend on Halloween. I just emailed her earlier today asking where she got them, because "seasonal decor" would be cool. And I'm hoping they are non-reactive. If I learn where they came from, I'll post it here.

Back
Top Bottom