Aiptasia or Polyp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my first post on this site, but ive been an admirer of your forums for several months. I recently set up a new saltwater tank, and had some questions about some of the stuff growing on my live rock, and figured theres no where better to ask the question, then here!

I setup my first SW tank about 2 months ago, after i decided to dive into marine keeping after have FW tanks for several years. Ive been purchasing live rock bit by bit from different people and places. My tank is a 55 gallon tall, with about 50 pounds of LR in it now. The last 15 pounds i bought from a guy here in town, and it had quite a bit of what he said are brown button polyps on them. i had no reason not to believe him, except now theyre spreading to everywhere in my tank (theres even one that made its way to the inside of my skimmer) and theres a worry in the back of my head that with the way theyre spreading, that theyre actually aiptasia. They all have the brown top with tan to light brown stalks, and when you touch them they close up and kinda shrink down into the rock, but not all the way. I figured to ease my mind, you guys would be the best to ask! Ill attach a few pics, so my apologies if i do it wrong (my first time posting on here)

Thank you in advance for any info!

Attachments

• 100_1381.jpg
    100_1381.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_1382.jpg
    100_1382.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_1383.jpg
    100_1383.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 114
They're button polyps so there's nothing to worry about besides them taking over space that you may have wanted coral at.

Thank you very much! You definately eased my mind! Is there any way to kind of "control" them to keep them from taking over the tank? Or is manual removal about the only way?
:thanks:

cashmoney6980 said:
Thank you very much! You definately eased my mind! Is there any way to kind of "control" them to keep them from taking over the tank? Or is manual removal about the only way?
:thanks:

Manually removing :( they will just grow over any rock if you try to isolate them. I'd take them from you for some $$ but I'm in maryland.

Back
Top Bottom